MD For guys, what kind of shoes to wear on wards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genessis42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a curious question, what type of shoes do you wear during rotations?

If you wear a shirt & tie with a white coat over it, what type of dress shoes do you recommend? I was thinking of slip-ons that are comfortable but still dressy.

Members don't see this ad.

If you wear a shirt & tie with a white coat over it, what type of dress shoes do you recommend? I was thinking of slip-ons that are comfortable but still dressy.

Oo you have to wear formal atire?

Always did scrubs + comfortable tennis shoes for all my rotations. Others wore Crocs but they made my feet sweaty.

If anything, always go for comfort over looks.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. I always thought tennis shoes looked silly with a shirt & tie.

We're not as formal as lawyers, but still...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If wearing dress shirt +/- tie and dress pants, wear some kind of leather shoes. Honestly it doesn't matter if they are $1000 or $25 from TJMaxx sale. No one will notice or care... unless you wear tennis shoes with dress shirt/pants. Don't do that.

If wearing scrubs, wear anything really. Most common are tennis/running shoes, crocs or surgery clogs.

When “dressing up”: I really like these. I had the same brand, different style before. The brand is more comfortable than anything I tried before it (but it’s been years since I tried another brand). Also, unless someone specifically seems to prefer a tie I don’t wear one (a tie without a coat awkward, and I wear my white coat as little as possible.)

When “dressing down” (scrubs): find whatever shoe can get dirty and is comfortable. I haven’t found one I’m happy with on this front yet, but currently use tennis shoes.

Whether you should dress up or down will basically depend on your site/rotation. Some rules are getting tossed with COVID, and I’m expecting more people in scrubs when I return to the hospital than before. (Currently on outpatient, where there are more scrubs than I’m used to)

I have comfortable dress shoes for when I have to dress up. You could probably buy any decent pair and put some good insoles in them.

For scrubs, tennis shoes. I would rather (literally) be hit in the head with a bat than wear those the fashion crimes known as danskos. The only promise I must keep to myself is that I will never wear those atrocities.

Reactions: 2 users
For shirt and tie, i would wear dress shoes with Rockport soles, they're super comfy for walking around all day in but also match a suit and tie. For scrubs I just wear running shoes

I tried athletic sneakers, dress shoes, and dressier shoes that are basically disguised athletic shoes on wards. After experiencing a lot of foot pain, I switched to Dansko clogs. These are not good for athletic movement or running, but superb for standing and slow walking. They have them for both men and women, are generally easy to clean/disinfect, and are durable. They are fast to put on if I'm able to lay down for a minute while on call.
My best advice is to look around and see what the nurses and PGY2s are wearing, and ask them. People are usually very happy to tell you what has provided them comfort.
I have no conflict of interest with any shoe company or cobblers. ;)

I have comfortable dress shoes for when I have to dress up. You could probably buy any decent pair and put some good insoles in them.

For scrubs, tennis shoes. I would rather (literally) be hit in the head with a bat than wear those the fashion crimes known as danskos. The only promise I must keep to myself is that I will never wear those atrocities.
Lol, I agree danskos are not the best looking shoes, but athletic shoes just didn't work for hours of standing for me. Pain was 8/10 for me for any other shoes after a long day's work on the wards. :eek:
I envy you folks that can wear dress shoes or sneakers.

Reactions: 2 users
If you live in New York then timbs are a necessity for any deadass doctor

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Yeah. I always thought tennis shoes looked silly with a shirt & tie.

We're not as formal as lawyers, but still...
Idgaf, I’m on my feet for a large portion of the day and walking around form over fashion. Understated comfy tennis shoes under khakis . They were grey and bland .

Idgaf, I’m on my feet for a large portion of the day and walking around form over fashion. Understated comfy tennis shoes under khakis . They were grey and bland .

How did you manage to do this without getting called out? I'm not too optimistic about my ability to find dress shoes that won't kill my feet after a few hours, let alone ones that are comfortable.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you manage to do this without getting called out? I'm not too optimistic about my ability to find dress shoes that won't kill my feet after a few hours, let alone ones that are comfortable.
You need to try on some Cole Haan's. The comfort is the selling point.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
:
FBF69DF1-8566-46F3-AA67-A0C8D0566561.jpeg

no body said anything . Didn’t seem to impact my grades either.

Tennis shoes are great ... until somebody bleeds/pukes/etc on them.

Boots are super comfortable and look sharp. Can be stain resistant. They're my go-to for "low-risk" environments.

For the OR it's hard to beat Danskos.

Bottom line - don't forget the cleanability factor.

FWIW, the students on medicine at my school said that they were told that it's okay to wear sneakers with their fancy clothes bc covid... because that makes sense somehow?

Which model did you get? I found the grand shortwing oxfords on Amazon.

I think they are the Grandtour wing tips. I got them for like $45 at like DSW or one of the similar type of places

for dress pants/shirt and tie I would look for some Cole Haans as others have mentioned. they have dressier option and some cloth slip ons that you could def use with shirt/tie if you wanted to. In terms of clogs, I highly recommend Oofos. they're beyond comfortable for standing, relatively cheap, and super easy to clean. feel like its a brand ppl don't hear about but a resident recommended them early on in clerkships and Ive never worn another shoe with scrubs since

Once you've done a few rotations, you'll start getting more casual with your dress so maximize comfort over style. Tennis shoes are literally fine and nobody will care. But if you want something durable, find a good pair of clogs that look somewhat dressy and wear those. Those will last you a long time.

Ariats. Good for the wards, good for the OR, and good for your back.

Running shoes. Best breathability, support, etc. Danskos, etc. are too rigid. A lot of programs are fine with scrubs in clinics now so there's no excuse to not just go with running shoes. Some may still enforce business casual minus call shifts so definitely double check before dropping $

Running shoes. Best breathability, support, etc. Danskos, etc. are too rigid. A lot of programs are fine with scrubs in clinics now so there's no excuse to not just go with running shoes. Some may still enforce business casual minus call shifts so definitely double check before dropping $
I wore running shoes with scrubs and good leather shoes with khakis and dress shirt. While I’m not drowning in money, I don’t like to skimp on anything that goes between me and the ground.

I like to ware the Dansko clogs. I mean, they are ugly as heck but once broken in there is literally nothing as comfortable. Plus if you are on surgery or something you can just wipe them off and disinfect them.

Dansko clogs when wearing scrubs. They get the job done and stay comfortable all day. Make sure to buy a size that gives you some heel slip. If they hug your heel, you'll get blisters. You should be able to slip your fifth finger between the back and your heel without being able to kick them off too easily.

Alden #8 shell loafers. My daily shoe for years. Simply the best. They are perfect for my feet. Some of my friends prefer sneakers, others cheap dress shoes with rubber soles, and everything inbetween. Depends on what works for you. Trial and error. A balance of stylistic and physical comfort unique to each individual.