For mate who will be in 2003 cycle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grettlin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will start to apply in 2003. Just wonder how many biology "extra"
(except pre-dental required) courses you had or plan to take.
For the suggestion from my health advisor, he wants me to take
Advanced writing, Zoology, Microbiology, Genetic, Physiology,
Anatomy, BioChemistry, Philosophy.

How do you think? By the way, I am going to take DAT in next Auguest.

Members don't see this ad.

Genetics, physiology, biochem, anatomy and microbio really helped me on the DAT.

Hey Grettlin
I think the courses your proff told you to take will help a lot! Definatly take Anatomy and Physio, Micro, Biochem, and Genetics! I have not taken the DATS yet, but plan on it this summer. I have no idea how many Biology courses I have taken...over 20 Bio courses. I believe that those set courses given to you my your health proff will help tremendously! I was a Bio Major in Undergrad and always thought that after Genetics, all bio classes were easy...For some reason, it seemed likek Genetics was like the core class in bio??? Just my opinion though...
But definatly don't take teh DATs w/o taking Physio!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a chemistry major... so unlike 99.9% of applicants i haven't taken that many bio courses... i took the pre-dent ones Bio 1A-1B-1C which are: zoology, botany, genetics, biochemistry and molecular bio. but i'm planing to take physiology and anatomy next year (after i apply) just to learn and be prepared... i really don't have a good bio background!

For all those applying for the year 2003, is there anyone who will be taking the DAT in the upcoming months in NYC and is looking for a study partner.

Hi Negar,
For your situation, I have two information:
1. A guy who got accetped to CW this year from our school took General Bio,
MicroBio, Genetic Only. I discussed this issue with him and he said it really
depends on schools. The most important thing is your own schedule and fit
as many courses as possible based on it.
2. My advisor said we can apply first and take courses at the same time. It might
be the way to go if it does not really affect too much in DAT.

It has one more years for us to plan our schedule and we can discuss these in
the track. :)

AJ, I'll be taking it in August...so I'm studying in the summer...and I'm in nyc...is that the same time as you? Anyways, I'll be gone for a few days, so let me know :)

Vixen, sounds good will you be taking a review course for DAT, because i am just studing for it on my own and plan to take it in May.

for a second there, i misread your title and thought you were looking for a mate this upcoming term. haha :)

Hi hawke,
I think the courses you had taken should be good enough to meet the requirement.
Most dental schools, they require "General Biology" for 8 - 10 credits. The category of general bio includes cell, evolution, molecule, DNA.... and I think these topics have been included into the courses you had taken.
Do you have to memorize a lot? It is an interesting question and it truly depends on the teacher. In my school, the same course with different professors, the results are different. For previous semester, they did not have to memorize all the staff and did not have to induce all the information which was not showed in text. Finally, 35% got A, 45% got B, 20% got C, D, or F. For this semester, it is crazy. The professor said only 10% will get A, 20% will get B, 30% will get C, 20% will get D, and 20% for others..."F"!!!
So, for your question, I think you can prove yourself at DAT. Good DAT is no arguable.