For Medical Students at Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonic Hedgehog

MSTP guru
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that the grading system for the class of 2006 and beyond is going to converted to Pass/Fail? Or is this just a renamed version of the A/B/C system so that you have H/P/F instead? Could someone please inform me? Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

...it's a renamed A/B/C system of Honors/HP/Pass. Apparently Honors = A, High Pass = A-/B+ and Pass = B/C/D. Not a big change, if you ask me. Word on the street is that the class of '06 will have this grading scheme in the fall. This system will also apply to clinical rotations beginning immediately.

Hope this helps,

doepug
MS II, Johns Hopkins

how do u like life at hopkins...isnt as horrendous as pple claim it to be?

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by WatchaMaCallit:
•how do u like life at hopkins...isnt as horrendous as pple claim it to be?•••••Personally, I love it here. For some inexplicable reason, there is a great deal of hype and misinformation about Hopkins (especially the competition myth), which is truly unfortunate. In my opinion, this is a fabulous place, and I'm very happy to be here.

Please don't hesitate to post/PM any questions you might have.

Cheers,
doepug

I'm a first-year at Hopkins -- my classmates are cooperative and friendly...it is truly a myth that students here are trying to one-up each other. I'm really happy here.

As for the new grading scheme, I think that would be excellent. Although a pass and a C are really one and the same, I think a pass is less stigmatizing than a C. Many schools have strayed from the A/B/C system - I think it's a winner.

i think the competitiveness is in the undergrad side. our nicknames for each other was "throat."
you would be called a throat is you were ultra-competitive as in you are cut-throat.

what kind of stats do you guys have, you dont' mind saying? I have a 33R mcat and 3.78 neurscience g.p.g. at UW_Madison. I'm wondering if I should bother applying the Hopkins? Are they big on IVY graduates, etc..? I know apps are going to cost a lot and I'm just trying to figure where I really have a shot at!
thanks people
peace