For Moms Only!! Is It Possible to Attend Dental School While Having a BAby?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jol2008

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to apply to USC and UCLA for the 2009 cycle. I would love to speak with a current student at UCLA and USC to determine how difficult is it to attend dental school while having a baby. In other words, how is a typical day at these two schools? When do the classes start in the morning and when do they end in the afternoon? I understand it depends on the year, but how is the worst case senario?

Early Reply is Deeply Appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its hard enough without a baby, can't imagine with, good luck

You can also try posting this in the dental forum. There may be a dental student or classmate of a dental student here on SDN who handled that situation.

On a side note: I'm a fan of the thread bump a mere 4 minutes after you created the thread!

You can also try posting this in the dental forum. There may be a dental student or classmate of a dental student here on SDN who handled that situation.

That's what came to my mind first. I will repost the thread. Thanks for ur suggestion. You are always kind and helpful. :)

I know mothers who have been through dental school and even some who have gotten into specialties. It is hard but certainly doable. They say parents know how to manage their time extremely well.

I do not have a baby, just a husband...however I do know of a few stories that may help.

1. A female dentist I used to observe who had her first baby (single mother) 8 months before dental school and another one her 3rd year of dental school said it is tough, but you do it. She would get home from school at 5pm, play with her baby until 8pm, sleep until 2am, study until 7am when she would take the baby to daycare and repeat the cycle. Hard, but doable. Probably a bit easier if you have a husband.

2. A girl in our class asked to join next years class after having a baby. VCU was VERY accomodating. She took a year off and will return in January with the next class. All first semester grades except for one counted.

3. A girl in my class has a baby that is less than a year old. She is still in my class and seemingly doing well.

In summary, it is VERY difficult, you will have to make many sacrifices, but it is without a doubt doable...may be more difficult to keep excellent grades though. Good luck.

I do not have a baby, just a husband...however I do know of a few stories that may help.

1. A female dentist I used to observe who had her first baby (single mother) 8 months before dental school and another one her 3rd year of dental school said it is tough, but you do it. She would get home from school at 5pm, play with her baby until 8pm, sleep until 2am, study until 7am when she would take the baby to daycare and repeat the cycle. Hard, but doable. Probably a bit easier if you have a husband.

2. A girl in our class asked to join next years class after having a baby. VCU was VERY accomodating. She took a year off and will return in January with the next class. All first semester grades except for one counted.

3. A girl in my class has a baby that is less than a year old. She is still in my class and seemingly doing well.

In summary, it is VERY difficult, you will have to make many sacrifices, but it is without a doubt doable...may be more difficult to keep excellent grades though. Good luck.

I appreciate your encouraging comments.

Quite a few med students are doing this, from what I saw at the pre-allo and allo forums.

It would be much easier if you have your significant other that can help you out on this matter. After all, dental school is pretty demanding and you need to get all the help you can.

On the other hand, I heard raising a baby while in professional is virtually impossible if you are a single parent though. Unless your parents are willing to contribute big time.

Good luck!

I am going to apply to USC and UCLA for the 2009 cycle.

In regards to these two schools I would assume the first year of USC would more ideal for you situation since there is limited structured class time allowing for more flexibility in one's schedule.

However I do know the second year is busy and don't know how it compares to UCLA's second year.