For Navy Reserve Physicians - How often do you drill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handsome1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
An obvious spin-off from our Army counterpart thread. How often on the Navy side ?

Does anyone have any experience using the Critical Wartime Specialty option? What is the process for that, who has to approve it and how does it work etc...

What about other the standard options?

Would love to hear from anyone with any actual attending level Navy Reserve experience. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

An obvious spin-off from our Army counterpart thread. How often on the Navy side ?

Does anyone have any experience using the Critical Wartime Specialty option? What is the process for that, who has to approve it and how does it work etc...

What about other the standard options?

Would love to hear from anyone with any actual attending level Navy Reserve experience. Thank you.

Currently in SELRES, former active duty. I also am a little aloof, so I'm not sure the exact requirement and some OICs are more anal than others about reschedules. Basically you drill a weekend per month. Weekend = two 8 hour days. You also have to do a 2 week AT--at a naval hospital or some type of training like this in addition to a specific number of drills. This would equal a "good year," but I know you are allowed to miss some drill time or reschedule for a week day if your command allows. Each 4 hour "shift" you do is equal to one period and you need 40 for a good year and at least 10-12 days AT on top of that. It adds up to points for retirement. You also can reschedule part of your weekend if your command allows.

If you are a physician and doing it for the retirement/money, it might not actually be worth it so look into calculating this. I kinda like being in the military part time, so I *think* I might stay in in spite of this--I earn about 1/5 in a drill weekend as I could moonlighting. Feel free to PM with any additional questions.