For non-employed/non-traditional students, what is your GAP year like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1058524

For non-employed/non-traditional students, what is your GAP year like?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing video games, meal prepping, gardening, planning vacations, and contemplating how I'm going to move with my husband on semi-short notice. Oh, and some volunteering and job apps (lol NYC).

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Laid off due to COVID, panicked for the first few days, then relaxed a bit, worked on applications, tried lots of different virtual volunteering opportunities with little luck, panicked again, did some online training, finished secondaries, now applying for volunteering and jobs, also reestablishing my social network (remotely, of course, local COVID situation is not very good). Not as fun/productive as I hoped it would be.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently doing non-clinical side hustles like DoorDash delivery, but looking for some kind of clinical opportunity. I have 5 years of clinical experience, but in the past year I stopped working temporarily to focus on some other things I had to get done, and then COVID hit, making it hard to get back onto the clinical scene. I feel like adcoms are going to think that I am not interested in medicine anymore. I've been worried every single day about this. Am I justified in my extreme worry?

My toddlers daycare only has a tues/thurs spot for him right now, and we haven’t gotten off any other waitlists (seriously - if you’re planning on kids get on waitlists BEFORE you get pregnant if you live anywhere remotely desirable), so the majority of my time is spent at home with him. I do volunteer at a food bank for a few hours on the days he’s in daycare. We bought a fixer upper so I work on project around the house on weekends, and my husband and I are cyclists so whenever we can get away for a ride we do!

A vast wasteland of reading news and applying for jobs with little luck. It's been depressing. I am taking a class to keep myself busy and add to my app for what will probably be a reapplication next year. I only applied to a few schools (with lower MCAT averages) in case my MCAT didn't make the mark and, well, it didn't so there will also be more MCAT studying in my near-future :( Chipping away at secondaries. Still involved in a community-based org - everything is virtual which is of course necessary but just not as satisfying as getting together with folks in person. It's been rough - I am single and live alone so I feel so cut-off from the world -- but I know other people have it worse. Oh, I picked up video games again too -- haven't played since I was a kid as pre-COVID life used to keep me fairly busy...

• Care
Thank god I'm not the only one staying at home... :)