$$ for nursing school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dustin04ag

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.... this is my first time posting on this forum. I am really a pre-med student applying to med school this summer. But what I really had a question about was my mom. My mom has been an LVN for 21 years and is a great nurse. I am super proud of her, but I really want her to go back to school to get her RN. She had to stick with an LVN back in the day because she was having to raise two kids by herself but always wanted to have her RN. She has recently really started to consider it, but she doesnt think that she is smart enough and she doesnt have the money for sure. I told her to have as much faith in herself as her kids have in her because i know she is an incredibly smart lady.. but then there is still the $$ thing. So i was wondering if anyone knew of any scholarships or grants for nurses who are going back to school to get their RN. We are located in TX. I have heard about some programs that will buy your nursing books and things like that. If anybody has any information like that... Please share.

Thanks,
Dustin

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know how it is Texas but in California you can go to a community college and only pay $11 a unit even for the RN program. My advice to you would be to go see a counselor at the school your mom is considering applying to and ask them about any scholarships or grants. From my experience RN programs usually have a bunch resources available to them as far as scholarships and grants go.

At the hospital I work at (in Texas) they have a program for nursing students where the hospital pays for them to get their RN if they agree to work at that hospital for so many years after they graduate. With the huge nursing shortage it's not hard to find someone to pay for your schooling.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use to go to school with someone that worked at the hospiral while going to school and they paid him $400 a month in addition to his regular paycheck while he was in school and in return he had to work for them for 2 years after he graduated.

Brill and pihkal, can you tell us what hospital and school are you referring to? I am looking for a hospital or school that would do the same thing!

Thanks in advance!

My brother is doing the BSN program at UTMB (Univ. of Texas Medical Branch) in Galveston, TX. He's in the program with a midsize suburban hospital. From my understanding it's a fairly common thing. Talk to the director of nursing at just about any hospital and they can tell you about such programs.

Brill is right that it these programs are fairly common place. They do vary from hospital to hospital but its a pretty safe bet that most have these. The main thing with these programs is that they are setup where you have to commit to work a certain amount of time after you graduate at their hospital. usually about 2 years. So my advice is to check some hospitals that you would deem a desirable place to work and ask them about these scholarships.