for NYU students, does the thought having so much debt after grad affect you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for NYU students, does the thought having so much debt after graduation affect you to live cheaply? study harder to avoid dropping out? use the resource at max, or in any other way? How does the thought of debt play in your life as a dental student?

ps. the question may also apply to other students who go to expensive school and accumulate 200+ K debt.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

NYU is actually $330,000. They're in a league of their own when it comes to debt.

I actually didn't go to NYU just because of the cost. There is no way I would pay twice or three times the amount. To be honest everyone in dental school is getting a degree in dentistry and you can't tell me patients look at the school you went to when they come in for a visit. 330,000 is CRAZY.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact is that dental schools can charge whatever they want and there will be no shortage of students willing to pay it. My tuition jumped 4 grand for the coming year. What choice do you have but to pay it? They could raise tuition 40 grand if they wanted, they got ya by the balls!:(

People would still want to get a DDS degree even if they had to pay $500,000.

For example, one of the dental schools in my country charges this much tuition:

56,655,000 JPY = 473,565 USD
http://www.shigakubu.com/archives/2004/07/13c.html
(This does not include living expenses, textbooks, instruments, health insurance, or any other personal expenses.)

NYU's tuition ($246,753) is about a half of this. NYU could double its tuition and still have more applicants than 230 seats.

NYU is much cheaper compared to most dental schools in my country. I am glad that I attend NYU.

Angle...with that much debt do you get to charge patients $3000 a crown in your country

No. Dentists there don't make nearly as much money as dentists in the U.S do. From a viewpoint of someone who came from a country where most dental schools cost much more than NYU and dentists make much less than dentists in the U.S. do, NYU's tuition seems reasonable. Just my $0.02.

People would still want to get a DDS degree even if they had to pay $500,000.

For example, one of the dental schools in my country charges this much tuition:

56,655,000 JPY = 473,565 USD
http://www.shigakubu.com/archives/2004/07/13c.html
(This does not include living expenses, textbooks, instruments, health insurance, or any other personal expenses.)

NYU's tuition ($246,753) is about a half of this. NYU could double its tuition and still have more applicants than 230 seats.

NYU is much cheaper compared to most dental schools in my country. I am glad that I attend NYU.

Wow and I was worrying about my loan. (SsHH don't tell NYU though. They will certainly increase tution:laugh: ;) )

No wonder Japanese people have such bad teeth:eek:

NYU is actually $330,000. They're in a league of their own when it comes to debt.

If i'm not mistaken...330,000 plus interest over 20 yrs. 500k++++??????

Astronomical numbers. My dental school's total 4-year expenses are 55k (36k tuition), so I cannot imagine having to shell over 330Ks in principle and then another 100K in interest capitalization and living expenses.

You'd have to work the first five years of your life as a dentist and live as a bum to pay off those kinds of costs. A disguised residency in essence because you are still working for NYU to pay them off long after you graduated. I would bet that an average NYU graduate will spend 7-15 years paying off that kind of money (330-500k), and that's on a rigorous schedule. Graduating at 28 on average from dental school means an NYU DMD would be 35ish at the earliest time of financial freedom and more likely late 30's. They would spend the early part of their lives as slaves to the system.

What a price to pay!

Astronomical numbers. My dental school's total 4-year expenses are 55k (36k tuition), so I cannot imagine having to shell over 330Ks in principle and then another 100K in interest capitalization and living expenses.

You'd have to work the first five years of your life as a dentist and live as a bum to pay off those kinds of costs. A disguised residency in essence because you are still working for NYU to pay them off long after you graduated. I would bet that an average NYU graduate will spend 7-15 years paying off that kind of money (330-500k), and that's on a rigorous schedule. Graduating at 28 on average from dental school means an NYU DMD would be 35ish at the earliest time of financial freedom and more likely late 30's. They would spend the early part of their lives as slaves to the system.

What a price to pay!

Hmm, awesome analogy! Can I use that in the future?