for NYU students, how much does it cost you to live in NYC for 4 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AceDentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For NYU students, how much does it cost you to live in NYC for 4 years as a single student who lives a normal life. I plan to dine out and hit the club during the weekends while working/studying hard during the weeks. My parents are going to give me 150K for living cost. Do you think it will be enough?

Members don't see this ad.

150K? wow, you have nice (and rich) parents. clearly you can live on that much. I don't even live in NYC but I can promise you that. do a simple calculation rent 1,500-2000, groceries 250-300, the rest will be your going out money

Obviously that will be "enough", I'm not sure if that is a serious question. Good news is you won't be alone either! There are a number of people here who's parents have seemingly limitless accounts and share freely with their kids.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a New Yorker who went to NYU as a single good looking guy, $150,000 may seem like a lot, but not here my friend. Thats about $35,000 per year. Your rent on a one bedroom will be $22-2500 for a place near the school, right there is almost $30,000, which leaves you $5000 for food, dining out and clubs. I don't know if you''ve ever been here, but a good dinner, and a night clubbing can set you back $500. If I was you, I would live in the dorms, and spend the money on food and booze, but don't be stupid and think your rich and go buying bottles of Cristal. NYC is great when your earning dentist money, not when your on a fixed income. PM me if you want the lowdown on the best bars and and places to go, you'll need them:laugh:

As a New Yorker who went to NYU as a single good looking guy, $150,000 may seem like a lot, but not here my friend. Thats about $35,000 per year. Your rent on a one bedroom will be $22-2500 for a place near the school, right there is almost $30,000, which leaves you $5000 for food, dining out and clubs. I don't know if you''ve ever been here, but a good dinner, and a night clubbing can set you back $500. If I was you, I would live in the dorms, and spend the money on food and booze, but don't be stupid and think your rich and go buying bottles of Cristal. NYC is great when your earning dentist money, not when your on a fixed income. PM me if you want the lowdown on the best bars and and places to go, you'll need them:laugh:

i'm sorry, but if you're spending that kind of money regularly as a dental student then maybe you need to go seek some professional help.

jb!:)

hes right though

a nice dinner will be 150 bucks, cab fare, drinks at the club will set back around 250-500 depending on where you go and how much you drink

150k over 4 years isn't much, but 150k each year... oh yeah, that's enough to live like a pimp.

hes right though

a nice dinner will be 150 bucks, cab fare, drinks at the club will set back around 250-500 depending on where you go and how much you drink

yeah, i know it's easily possible. but if you're on a budget spending that kind of money, then...

Oh, I thought he meant per year which is easily what a few of the other "taken care of" students here get. You can make it by on 35k per year without too much suffering. I am doing it right now with a wife and one kid. But we don't go eating out in manhattan...A single friend of mine mentioned that he has found a few places where he can go for a night of clubbing and drinking and spend around $60 which is a really good deal around here. Not sure about the quality though.

If you are a guy , you def need to spend serious cash to have a good time in this city. The so called "cool" clubs will not let guys in at all unless you throw down $1000 for bottle service.. But dont be to upset about that because as an NYU dental student, I can tell you you will most definatly not be hitting up the clubs on a weekly basis. If you are a good looking girl however, going out in the city is awesome. You never have to pay or wait to get into a club, and drinks are free inside as well from all those guys inside buying bottles:)

And rent will be at least 1500 a month with roomates, and $2000 for a decent studio in the area around school, which is not exactly in the cool part of town.

hey guys, Thanks for the advice. Well, I don't plan to spend that much money on rent. I just want small place to make food, sleep, and take shower. I don't mind taking the subway to school as long it doesn't take more than 30 min.
I heard many students live in the Queen's area which is cheaper. Can I get a decent place for $1000 per month?

Well, I don't plan to hit up high end clubs. I don't think that I am cool enough for that. :cool: I just wanna party up other NYU students (dental and non-dental) :D on the weekend.

plan to spend somewhere between 50 to 100 on a typical night out to a mid to high-end club. lets say $20 for cab rides (reasonable), $8-10 per drink, some clubs have cover fees etc. alot of bars are much cheaper though, so really depends on your personal preference.

thank you guys for the comments.

Can you give me a ballpark number on the living cost in New York for you each year? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
150k over 4 years isn't much, but 150k each year... oh yeah, that's enough to live like a pimp.

What? $150K is a mortgage. Do you have any concept of money at all? And how the hell do you go out and spend "$150 on a nice dinner" and then "$200-250 on drinks" (that's only $400, by the way, not $50), and not want to kick your own ass the next morning... this thread is making me want to throw up.

You don't have to live right next to the school. There are five boroughs in New York, you can find a very nice place for $1500 a month.

good thing i don't like going to clubs that much :laugh: because i definitely could find better ways to spend 450 bucks!

Hmmm let's see... 3 nights at a club (rounding down to $300/night), by these calculations would be around 900 dollars... let's see...

that's a round trip ticket to Paris!!! priorities, priorities... mine definitely are travel over bars, but that's just me I guess.

You don't HAVE to spend that much but you could. Perspective on money is relative. I am certainly on the lower spectrum when it comes to cash but if you live in NYC you meet people for whom that kind of money isn't a big deal. Just as you might have trouble imagining spending that kind of money they might struggle to understand how one could go out and spend any less.

You don't HAVE to spend that much but you could. Perspective on money is relative. I am certainly on the lower spectrum when it comes to cash but if you live in NYC you meet people for whom that kind of money isn't a big deal. Just as you might have trouble imagining spending that kind of money they might struggle to understand how one could go out and spend any less.

I'm sure there's no shortage of posh places that sell fresh dishes and glasses of "lifestyle" in NYC... but that doesn't mean that going out to eat and get drunk, and spending $500 in the process when you're on a budget isn't idiotic. If you do, and don't realize that your actions are excessively lavish, then you are a *****.

If we're talking about a budget, don't factor in $500 for each night out on the town, and think that's reasonable is alls I'm sayin.

I'm sure there's no shortage of posh places that sell fresh dishes and glasses of "lifestyle" in NYC... but that doesn't mean that going out to eat and get drunk, and spending $500 in the process when you're on a budget isn't idiotic. If you do, and don't realize that your actions are excessively lavish, then you are a *****.

If we're talking about a budget, don't factor in $500 for each night out on the town, and think that's reasonable is alls I'm sayin.

:thumbup:

You got to be kidding me. . . 400-500 a night out in town. Most good restaraunts cost about 20-30 dollars per person. For every good restaraunt that cost about 20-30 dollars per person, there are 2 more that costs 5-10 dollars. Rent for a nice place is about 1200 for a studio in Queens or Brooklyn. You can easily find one on craigslist.org.

If you live in Queens, a movie ticket will cost you anywhere from 3 dollars to 12. Clubs/parties are expensive and so are the drinks. Be sure to pregame first. Train/Bus fare is two dollars, cheaper than most places. There is no reason why you need to take a cab if you are living in Manhattan. Everything is within reach of each other, that is why it is Manhattan.

So to sum it up, 150k is more than enough for 4 years. I might not have rich parents, but I can easily live on 20-30k a year full of entertainment and partying. I dont take the train though. . . i have a car.

1) Limit yourself on the clubs. Not only should you be studying most of the time anyway, but there are some bars on Avenue B where you drown in 2-4-1 PBRs at $2 a pop.

2) I don't live in Brooklyn or Queens but you'll probably need more than 30 minutes to get to NYU from outside Manhattan. The school isn't very close to any train stations either.

3) Get roomies. 3 students in a converted double at Waterside will run you 1500 I think... not sure. Certainly less than 2500. Plus you can walk to school.

4) Leave your car at home. You don't need it. If your parents are giving you money for living in NYC then they're probably paying for your insurance too... but in case they're not, save yourself some bucks this way. If you need to go anywhere outside of NYC, take the chinatown bus -- $30 roundtrip to boston or Philly etc.

5) If you're getting the money all at once I would invest a lot of it. I don't know in what (my brother is the finance major) but that'll give you some extra play money.

Blah blah blah. Be smart and you should have no problem living on that cash with some left over. Or, you could do what everyone else does and take out loans to cover the difference...

hey thanks,

I don't know what to invest $150K in other than paying for tuition and living cost. I will just use the money to tuition and get loan to make up the difference.

hey guys, Thanks for the advice. Well, I don't plan to spend that much money on rent. I just want small place to make food, sleep, and take shower. I don't mind taking the subway to school as long it doesn't take more than 30 min.
I heard many students live in the Queen's area which is cheaper. Can I get a decent place for $1000 per month?

Well, I don't plan to hit up high end clubs. I don't think that I am cool enough for that. :cool: I just wanna party up other NYU students (dental and non-dental) :D on the weekend.

Boy, have you been to NYC? What do you think you can get for $1000 per month in NYC, even in queens? A **** hole (pardon me for my language) is what you can get. Besides taking subway from Queens to NYU dental school will definitely take you more than 30 minutes....You need to wake up and smell the coffee....Living in NYC can be a lot fun...if you have a lot of money......good luck
icon11.gif