for NYU students who took anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you like the bodies being plastenated? Does it make it easier to find the muscles/nerves/arteries/veins since its all professionally done? And it says we have anatomy lab after class which is fine, but how long is that supposed to take? I ask only because if we're not doing any dissection, there doesn't sound like there's much to it other than walking in there and identifying structures. I'm taking anatomy with med students right now and we dissect. Although it's nice, I find it to be a HUGE waste of time, especially when time is of essence in dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

how do you like the bodies being plastenated? Does it make it easier to find the muscles/nerves/arteries/veins since its all professionally done? And it says we have anatomy lab after class which is fine, but how long is that supposed to take? I ask only because if we're not doing any dissection, there doesn't sound like there's much to it other than walking in there and identifying structures. I'm taking anatomy with med students right now and we dissect. Although it's nice, I find it to be a HUGE waste of time, especially when time is of essence in dental school.

they are very nicely dissected. besides plastinated bodies, there are also plastinated slices of the human body sagittal/transverse/coronal, that is neat because you begin to identify structures like you would if using a CAT scan. Lab is something like 1.5 hours. You have to be present the whole time, every lab has an exit quiz. There are a lot of specimens and you should look at everything there because anything can show up on the practicals, and there are two of them. I suggest spending more time with the slices because it is much harder to identify all the structures and landmarks on those.

Also it is not right after class all the time. It can be the same day or some other day, just FYI.

by two practicals, do you mean there's a radiology one and another with the cadavers?

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked the plastinations a lot. You can get experience cutting soft tissue later. There was so much I saw in the plastinations that I know I never would have seen with a dissection lab. The lecture material was really reinforced.

by two practicals, do you mean there's a radiology one and another with the cadavers?

no. there is no radiology and no cadavers. i think you misunderstood me when i was referring to CAT scans. the two practicals cover what you see in the plastinated bodies and the plastinated slices. you get one halfway through the course, and another at the end which is cumulative.

this is what I was talking about when i was explaining the slices. They can be slices of a person in any of the three anatomical axises (coronal, transverse, sagittal):

http://www.koerperspende.de/images/695.jpeg

http://teaching.anatomy.auckland.ac.nz/atlas/abdomen-thorax/images/plastinated-thorax-9.jpg

http://www.nyu.edu/dental/nexus/images/fall2004/vonhagens1.jpg

the slices are very tough sometimes because they can point to anything and ask what it is, or what innervates it etc. It is much different than looking at a whole specimen, and as a result forces you to learn the anatomy really well.

Last edited:
I've recently discovered NYUCD anatomy will include all of our body.

I mean it is not just limited to our head and neck as I thought before.

Suddenly, I become curious about NBDE anatomy section.

Does it cover our whole body?

Meanwhile, I've noticed there are three anatomy categories that seem to be covered at NYUCD. (also at other dental schools!!)
1) All body (include head and neck)
2) head and neck
3) dental anatomy

Got confused! Help ^^;;