for OMFS residents..... do you stand on different sides when extracting wisdoms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arhat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO as I was taking out a hard mesioangular wisdom tooth 17 and using a drill. I was wondering, why don't I stand on the other side when drilling and extracting. I'm a righty and i sometimes feel like moving over and standing on the left side when extraction wisdom tooth because in that way, I can have a better view and not strain my back.

DO you think this is a bad habit to start doing?

Members don't see this ad.

I have not found this to be an issue because I can turn the patient's head so I don't have to kill my back.

Members don't see this ad :)
SO as I was taking out a hard mesioangular wisdom tooth 17 and using a drill. I was wondering, why don't I stand on the other side when drilling and extracting.

Doing the halftime shuffle is common place in military training programs. Your tech can then have the sweetheart in to help protect the airway on both sides or at a minimum protecting the airway with the suction.

The patient can have thier head moved much easier than you moving from right to left. Turn the head, adjust the head rest, adjust the chair.

The switching is money down the toilet

I stand on the other side and switch from right to left handed.

Very nice Armorshell as that is a tremendous skillset. I have a buddy who is ambidextrous, watching him work the Hall with either hand is quite impressive.

Turn the head, adjust the head rest, adjust the chair. The switching is money down the toilet

It is quicker for me to take one step to the other side of the patient then making the adjustments.

I do think that the majority of people will perform the procedure in the manner in which they were trained. However, one change I see in many seasoned providers is as the years go by then tend to lean towards sitting down vs. standing.

Personally, I am trying to avoid switching sides while learning to take out thirds. Although, there have been a few times when I likely would have benefited from moving to the other side. The way I see it, there is probably a way to get at what I need to get at, where I normally stand, I just may not have figured it out yet. As I get more proficient, maybe I will choose to alter sides, switch between standing and sitting...who knows.

Very nice Armorshell as that is a tremendous skillset. I have a buddy who is ambidextrous, watching him work the Hall with either hand is quite impressive.

I was kidding. In real life I just crank the patients head around until I hear a pop. Just make sure you don't hear two pops. Two pops is too far.

I've spent six years assisting in an OMFS office during summers off and winter breaks throughout high school and college. We had 3 different surgeons in our office and 2 preferred to stay on their side of the chair (right handed Docs) using a mouth prop & sweetheart retractor while the 3rd surgeon (also ride handed) would change sides to extract 3rds. He used bite blocks and a seldon retractor during 3rds cases.