For PASS, does it matter how early I submit? Mid June vs. Mid July

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothmcgooth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to wait until the grades come out for my last quarter of 3rd year to come out before submitting. Also I may do some externships in June that I'd like to put on my application as well. Since the application opens May 21st?, does it matter if I submit about a month later? I know for dental school apps everyone tried to get it in as soon as possible. I wonder if it's the same for residency.

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot speak for all programs, but many programs will have a date at which they look at everything they've received...This date is usually well before their DEAD-LINE...at this point they start scheduling interviews....most don't do a full ROLLING ADMISSION type set up because with only 50-100 ppl (if that) applying to their program it's better for them to get the full picture and pick out the top 20 to interview.

It is advantageous to get your application out early, but having everything out by June 1st isn't necessary. If you're battling whether or not to submit by the end of June, then you will be fine.

And don't forget, you can always put things you haven't done YET as FUTURE EXPERIENCES.

TLDR: Submit by June 21st is FINE it will not hurt you.

It also makes a difference for what program you're applying for. Perio starts the earliest, then prosth and the match programs are last. I tried to get my app in at least 2 weeks before my first deadline which meant it was in July 17th. I would have gotten it in earlier but one prof took over a month to do a PPI.

Posted using SDN Mobile