fgd

Aug 16, 2018
Pathology waiver jobs are hard to come by from what I have heard but I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the prospects of finding an employer willing to sponsor H1 visa after 2 year home country residency bond. If he/she wants to return to the US to practice pathology how difficult or easy would it be?

OP
R

raindrop8687

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2013
It would be great if any of the seniors can shed some light on this. Is it possible at all to get a pathology waiver job after 1 or 2 fellowships? How many of the pathologists on J1 return to their home country?

fgd

Aug 16, 2018
Yes, waiver jobs, especially in the academic path, are possible but it is very difficult to obtain in comparison to other specialties. From what I have gathered the majority of people on J1 return to their home country and return back when they find an employer who would sponsor them for H1.

OP
R

raindrop8687

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2013
Yes, waiver jobs, especially in the academic path, are possible but it is very difficult to obtain in comparison to other specialties. From what I have gathered the majority of people on J1 return to their home country and return back when they find an employer who would sponsor them for H1.
Thanks.

Unty

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
I know a bunch of foreign grads I trained with who are still here in the US for jobs, meaning they haven’t left back to their home country.

OP
R

raindrop8687

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2013
I know a bunch of foreign grads I trained with who are still here in the US for jobs, meaning they haven’t left back to their home country.
That's great news! Are you sure that they did their J1 waiver here in US? Do you know what makes the profile more desirable for such jobs. For an IMG on J1 in a midtier residency program what is the best strategy to get a waiver job?

AZpath

5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
The O1 Visa is easy to get but only lasts 5 years max and there is no path to a greens card. So you can stay after residency but that clock runs out.

There are about 30 J1 wavier spots per state as a perment route to a green card.
About 2/3-3/4 are given to primary care in rural areas. Allocations of the 30 spots are set by the states

I know couple people trying to go the J1 route.
One pathologist that I know got real lucky and found a J1 spot after search for three years.
The spouse is a clinician is and is still looking.

I don't know how IMG folks manage to stay with out returning.

Unty

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
That's great news! Are you sure that they did their J1 waiver here in US? Do you know what makes the profile more desirable for such jobs. For an IMG on J1 in a midtier residency program what is the best strategy to get a waiver job?
Sorry I don’t know their situation. I just know they are foreign grads and are currently working in academics.

AZpath

5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
I am happy to be corrected. My knowledge is limited to a couple examples.
Please tell us more.

Thanks

OP
R

raindrop8687

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2013
The O1 Visa is easy to get but only lasts 5 years max and there is no path to a greens card. So you can stay after residency but that clock runs out.

There are about 30 J1 wavier spots per state as a perment route to a green card.
About 2/3-3/4 are given to primary care in rural areas. Allocations of the 30 spots are set by the states

I know couple people trying to go the J1 route.
One pathologist that I know got real lucky and found a J1 spot after search for three years.
The spouse is a clinician is and is still looking.

I don't know how IMG folks manage to stay with out returning.
Thanks.