Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

for pcom students

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by laird, Dec 4, 2001.

1. hi, i sent my deposit into pcom last week. should i be hearing anything else from them? i'm kind of nervous about it because i want to definitely make sure i am on their list before i decline my other offers. thanks for your help!

ana

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason

I'd call to confirm receipt of everything... (a) that is too important a thing to not be on top of and (b)PCOM, I've noticed, is the most UNORGANIZED school I've ever came across... they rival AACOM and AAMC.

Congrads on your acceptance!!

-A

4. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Hey Amra,

I see by your location that you are going to Nova. Did you ever hear back from PCOM? I haven't and decided to go to UMDNJSOM. Congrats on Nova.

5. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason

Yes... I got accepted into PCOM also! They have a strange way of starting off an acceptance letter:

YES!

Apparently, PCOM did one big a$$ acceptance/waitlist in the end of November.. I interviewed October 19th and got accepted the same time as other peeps that interviewed on the 2-3rd week of November...

PCOM is a great school... TBH, I am still sitting on the acceptance letter from them after I've sent out the other "Decline your offer" letters. ALL of my physician friends, mentors, and family are pushing me to goto Philly. And I respect them enough to consider... yet #1 I hate Philly; #2 I hate New Jersey and #3 the malpractice premiums in Pa are SO HIGH, I am not sure if I want to practice here (I know of a few doctors that are considering moving their practices to other states because of it - Where is MIRCA when you need it????) But, considering these are peeps that have helped me immensely over the years and truly have my best interests at heart... I wait and think....

-A

6. amra,
    thanks for you advice. i did call and everything was okay. but, what do you mean they are unorganized? that makes me a little nervous...

ana

7. sperl2

sperl2 Junior Member

Congratulations to all that have been accepted to the program at PCOM. I am currently a second year and want to clarify something. The admission committee meets once a month and it varies based on physician schedule. So if you interview right after a meeting you could be waiting for 7 weeks to hear anything. I know it is tough to wait, but please don't think that they are disorganized. PCOM is a great school if you have any questions please contact me.
    Brian Sperling

8. Hi Brian,
    I have a question--how do you like the trimester system? How does it work?

ana

9. sperl2

sperl2 Junior Member

I like the system. By incorporating three terms into the year it also allows you to integrate the material you are learning. Since we also learn in a system based style(all of Cardio: Physiology, Pathology, Medicine, Microbiology, Pharmacology, and OMM) the trimester format is ideal. In all this system really works for me.
    Brian

10. one more question: how long does it take for pcom to respond back after you send in your deposit

11. community

community Senior Member

Hi ana02,
    I was accepted to PCOM the third or fourth week of October. They sent me a confirmation letter of the deposit yesterday. I guess that means that the time period was about six - seven weeks after I sent in the deposit. They also mentioned in the letter that I will begin to receive some type of newsletter so that I could begin to familiarize myself with the school before orientation next august. If you have any more questions, let me know. I loved PCOM when I visited and was very excited about my acceptance.

12. community,
    thanks for your response! i'm so glad to hear someone who will also be going to pcom next year! when are you going to look for apartments? hopefully it will not be that expensive!

ana

13. community

community Senior Member

ana02,
    I hope it won't be too pricey either. I was thinking about going down to Philly around May to begin looking. I think I may begin by just driving around the area to see where I would like to live. I stayed at the Holiday Inn for my interview and noticed a pretty nice apartment complex from my hotel window. I remember thinking to myself that I wouldn't mind living in there. I guess we'll see when the time comes : )

14. David511

David511 Ponch's Illegitimate Son

Fellow [Any Field]
    Kids,

Welcome to the PCOM pool...grab yourself a floatie and a frosty beverage and join us in the deep end!

Seriously tho, you made a good choice. Class may be hard as [email protected] but at least we have a load of fun. Don't worry too much about housing...there's a ton around school and student affairs has a pretty comprehensive housing list.

Have fun and enjoy all the careless nights and weekends that you can before next August!

Much love to all...have a 'steak on me.