For people filling out secondaries right now...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you guys going about requesting composite letters from your pre-med offices?

I can't decide if I should have them send them to all of the schools right now (before I send in secondaries to each school), or if I should have them send them as I finish each one. Kind of a pain in the ass for them to have them do them 1 or 2 at a time, but I'm not sure if it's a great idea to send composite letters before I send in the secondary.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait until they ask you to send it. Medical schools have too many applicants to deal with already without people sending in more unneeded material. Some schools will only ask for them if you get an interview, therefore, save your time and money until requested.

Members don't see this ad :)
My committee will only send the letter when the secondary is complete and mailed... They seem to think med schools prefer it that way...

Lots of medical schools post it on their websites not to send in the letters of recommendation until they have your secondary and a file started on you. It "supposedly" slows down the review time of your application.

My undergrad sent our committee letters after we submitted our AMCAS application. It didn't seem to be a problem.

To the OP - At my school, LORs/composite is sent before secondaries are requested, except for a few certain cases that specifically state they do not want LORs until they have started a file on you. If you're really worried about a delay, you can start reading the fine print of your schools' apps and see which would throw them away and which would accept them early. If it's a school that does not screen pre-secondary, and you are going to fill out the secondary anyway, I don't see how it could hurt to get them in early. Just a countering opinion for you!