1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

For people getting 9-10-11 on verbal

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by tik-tik-clock, Aug 5, 2006.

1. tik-tik-clock

tik-tik-clock CraziiiDesiiKuriii
    7+ Year Member

Do you guys ALWAYS understand the whole passage completely or does a lot of it have to do with:

1. Knowing what a good MCAT answer might be
    2. Following the question stem and answer choices method?
    Thanks! and GL all with the studying!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. supafield

supafield Dream Big
    7+ Year Member

I'm in TPR and ditched there strategy and that automatically gave me a few points... lol I usually try to spend a minute or two more than princeton told us to spend reading the passage.... I find the less you have to go back the less time becomes an issue....

I've also learned to identify answers that are overly extreme.... always, never, only type answers aren't usually the best unless they're quoted in the passage.

Other than that just try and get a feel for correct answers.... I think doing hundreds and hundreds of practice passages is the difference between picking the correct answer or not when you've narrowed it down to two choice but are still not sure.

Lol that's a lot of broad advice but I hope it helps

4. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i follow no strategy. i just use my gut and try to understand the passage and i feelt that once u understand the passage, you're good for at least 80% of the questions, the rest is a lot of intuition and frantically going back.hhahhaha

5. superwillis

superwillis Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

You know what really helps? Keeping focused. Its the hardest thing, especially when there are 9-10 passages. But I've noticed that whenever I start a passage, if I sit up straight and pretend like I'm interested, I pick up on alot more stuff the author is trying to say. Alot of times, halfway thru a passage, I'll notice I havent really been paying attention, so I go back and skim thru what I just read to make sure I understand it.

I know its obvious, but making a concious attempt to be interested in the passage really helps!

6. theunremarkable

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Get a feel for the main idea and most importantly the TONE. Most of the questions have to deal with how the auther feels and how he would react to so and so situation.

. . and to get the above two, you have to do the main thing (and the hardest, IMO) which paying attention. Pay attention like your life depends on it.

Good luck.

7. tik-tik-clock

7+ Year Member

Thanks guys! :)
    :luck:

8. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    As has been said, it's important to get a feel for the tone and the MI but you may not know exactly what the passage is talking about.

The advice about staying focused is good too. I took the MCAT last Aug and was rolling through the first 5 passages (took me half of the alloted time). For some reason, the next 3 passages chewed up all of my time. I ended up having only 5 min to do a 10-question passage (not surprisingly, I had to guess on most of the questions) which totally brought down my verbal score. I think I relaxed a little halfway through when I realized I was ahead and lost my edge.

9. Kaysee

Kaysee Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just engage in what I am reading and try to understand the passage. I also read over the questions quickly before starting the passage. If I am stuck on a question I make sure I avoid any extreme answers.

Although i lack strategy i do think that it is important for people who have problems with verbal to have a strategy, and to practice practice practice. I really think the only reason I have never had a problem with this section is that I am a really fast reader and have been an avid reader all my life. physical sciences on the other hand....

10. brownie786

brownie786 Bunny of Doom
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I found that I tend to understand the main gist of the passage after i've done all of the questions about the passage... so I answer the "what is the main idea" question last... :laugh:

11. tik-tik-clock

7+ Year Member

Thankyou guys

Only lord knows how much struggle and tears I ve gone through dealing with verbal.

But I * think* I m finally starting to get there..

* keeping my fingers crossed here* touch wood*

This is after doing a zillion passages..

My veryy fearful mistake always always always is that I can always narrow down to two answer choices, but the one I pick is not the answer..

That's what I ve been trying to work on.. I guess a lot of it has to do with me bringing in my own ideas from outside regarding the topic. it always hurts me.

Thankyou for the insight and GL all :) :luck:

12. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    It was more of #1 for me. Basically I went with my gut feel. The problem is, your gut feel has to be coherent with the author and his/her passage, make sense? :eek: #2 just ensures that your answer choice actually answers the question.

13. docolive

docolive DOColive
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yes, I feel that this comes with practice and aamc test experience. the pr verbal tests are more difficult and I find this to be good practice for the aamc. Also, stay calm and relaxed. Act like you don't care and you will do superbly! All that stress and strain ends up working against a good score.

14. Noeljan

Noeljan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't have a strategy. I just read the passage, but really try and stay alert. Other than that I read the passage then the questions.