For people that have been accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seekanddestroy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What GPA do I need after I have been accepted. I applied with a 3.82, do you think med school give a f*ck if I get 1 3.0 this semster... They wouldn't revoke my addmission would they??

Members don't see this ad.

i think a 3.0 is probably fine. at least, i hope it is b/c i'm in exactly the same boat as you are. :D

In my Downstate acceptance letter, they said that my accceptance was "contingent upon satisfactory completion of requirements with C or above"... :p

I wonder if this is the case for all schools? Has anyone ever heard of admission being rescinded because of poor grades (not failing?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew someone who had a 36 MCAT and a decent GPA and got into Stonybrook. After she got in she pretty much got Cs and Stonybrook rescinded their acceptance. Last I heard she was retaking the MCATs trying to get a 38 or higher although I'm not sure how much that would help.
Yikes.

there was another thread on this earlier today, and there were a lot of good opinions on this topic.

my personal opinion is, we've worked ard to get in. we're in now, so why take a chance and screw it up. the stonybrook story scares me enough that i'll be trying as hard as ever to get those grades.
I have to think that a 3.0 semester would be acceptable, but again, why take the chance?

Untrue.

Unless otherwise stated, "contingency upon satisfactory completion..." means able to meet all the standard for you to graduate and move on.

4 years ago I was accepted to med school in my senior year. My senior year GPA for the two semesters were 3.1 and 2.6 (there were some classes where I basically just showed up to take exams. Took a couple C+'s that semester.) Was elected to Phi Beta Kappa after my junior year, but never initiated due to my senior year grades. Still manage to graduate with 3.55 and distinctions in my major, however. And nobody at the school I am at right now ever give me any beef about my senior grades.

They know you have lots of other obligations, have to miss a lot of time for interviews and such, and the bottom line is, it's SENIOR YEAR! Dont sweat it. If you are up to playing, all you have to do is make sure you graduate in good standing, and HAVE FUN! This is the last year you will have such chance, so dont waste it.

At the School I was accepted, they state very clearly:

"If you receive any C's, you will have to explain them to the admissions committee. Any D's may result in us recinding your acceptance"

I don't think its very hard to pull of a B- or above, even during our senior slump. Just don't become a total vegetable :)