For people that have taken the real thing..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miringains

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What tips would you give to someone with 1 week left looking to improve their bio section? Content understanding is 100% fine. Ebola passage scares me.

Members don't see this ad.

You will be given a question or questions that will deal with multiple varibles and u have to cancel units to get the right answer. They might also use different letters for varibles and might screw you. Here's an example I made up on the spot,

Which of the following one gives force, where G is the gravitaional constant m is mass, A is area, V is volume and L is length:

A) (G*m*m*L*)/(V*A)

B) (G*m*m*A)/(V*L)

C) (G*m*m*V)/(A*L)

D) (G*m*m*A*L)/(V)

You will be given a question or questions that will deal with multiple varibles and u have to cancel units to get the right answer. They might also use different letters for varibles and might screw you. Here's an example I made up on the spot,

Which of the following one gives force, where G is the gravitaional constant m is mass, A is area, V is volume and L is length:

A) (G*m*m*L*)/(V*A)

B) (G*m*m*A)/(V*L)

C) (G*m*m*V)/(A*L)

D) (G*m*m*A*L)/(V)
:thumbup: You might also have time as one of the variables. Think to yourself, will this thing we're solving for (such as force in the example above) increase as time goes on? If so, multiply the fraction by t to increase the thing. If the thing decreases as time goes on, divide the fraction by t. This should eliminate 1-2 answer choices.

Do you have access to Kaplan? I have heard that their Bio Section Tests are great prep. for the difficult experimental type questions on the real thing. More practice with those scary passages = raising your confidence

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have access to Kaplan? I have heard that their Bio Section Tests are great prep. for the difficult experimental type questions on the real thing. More practice with those scary passages = raising your confidence

I actually have done all of the section tests and I truly believe that they did not help my BS section at all, (entirely serious) no hate on Kaplan.

Thanks for all the replies! After looking over AAMC 11 I truly believe it just comes down to very deep critical thinking and analysis of figures... not too much actual biology knowledge seems necessary

some passages might deal with how a drug or hormone effects a body system. Similarly there can be questions about proteins in a pathway. Passages that deal with these kinds of subjects will give you alot of information in an indirect manner. I think it is helpful to write out a map of whats happening.

example: Peptide A > Binds Receptor B in the liver > Induction of Gene C transcription > Protein C production > Protein Secretion through Channel D > Activity increase in the Brain

I think doing it this way is short and its easier to see the effects some outside force could have if was introduced at a certain point at in this pathway.

A) (G*m*m*L*)/(V*A)

B) (G*m*m*A)/(V*L)

C) (G*m*m*V)/(A*L)

D) (G*m*m*A*L)/(V)

I have a dumb question regarding to this question.

Why are there 2 m's? I use F/A=P to solve for F and substitute P with (density)GL and

came out this choice D without the extra m.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I plan on getting some scholarly abstracts and going through them before I retake. I'm going to read them, understand what the components do, and what the side effects would be if something is inhibited, activated etc.

The BS section yesterday was downright scary. I couldn't even begin to make sense on two complete passages. That was the hardest BS section I've ever done, and a lot of people agree that took it yesterday.

I agree. Yesterday's Bio was crazy. I guess you could also do well if you have an outstanding IQ to make sense of some of those questions.

Last edited:
Yeah I got it now. So basically you want to convert the volume into m^3, area into m^2, and length into m. And then plug them in to solve for force, which is mG.

The way I thought about the question above is conceptually and not units (I get lost in units):

1) Length between two masses and their respective forces against one another have an inverse relationship. The farther apart they are, the lesser the force, so automatically I know L will go on the bottom.

2) Also if I have two masses occupying a smaller volume, the space between them will be shorter, so its also inverse to Force, making both L and V at the bottom.

I actually have done all of the section tests and I truly believe that they did not help my BS section at all, (entirely serious) no hate on Kaplan.

Thanks for all the replies! After looking over AAMC 11 I truly believe it just comes down to very deep critical thinking and analysis of figures... not too much actual biology knowledge seems necessary

Oh, well that makes me feel a little uneasy about concentrating on them so much before my retake! They won't prepare you for the BS section on AAMC 3-11 as they aren't very similar so if you are going off just those I can see where you are coming from. Hopefully after the real thing you will be glad you did them!

The way I thought about the question above is conceptually and not units (I get lost in units):

1) Length between two masses and their respective forces against one another have an inverse relationship. The farther apart they are, the lesser the force, so automatically I know L will go on the bottom.

2) Also if I have two masses occupying a smaller volume, the space between them will be shorter, so its also inverse to Force, making both L and V at the bottom.

I would not slove the problem like this too much thinking. All i did was take F=Gmm/r^2, and mulitply it by 1 twice (length/length=1). The MCAT is about solving specific problems with specific systems. Sometimes the problem will have extra bull**** information that might could your thought. For example on page 175 of the official guide to the MCAT 1st. The question talks abour capacitors and inductors with is not need at all is solve the question its asking which of the following graphs is y=x and y=1/x.

The MCAT is psychological test. A test of critical think skills. If the answer doesn't answer the question then no matter how its true its automatically wrong. If your stuck on a question u must go back to the passage because the info needed is always there.

I can make a bull**** passage about how a 100 meter runners legs move in a circular motion with some formula and then ask u to do math operations or find relationships with the formula. Someone who sees this might freak out but there is really simple math disguise by extra bull****.

In short the MCAT favors individuals who can change their thinking from abstract to calculation to concept. Theres a reason why math+stats majors score higher in all sections except WS.

Oh, well that makes me feel a little uneasy about concentrating on them so much before my retake! They won't prepare you for the BS section on AAMC 3-11 as they aren't very similar so if you are going off just those I can see where you are coming from. Hopefully after the real thing you will be glad you did them!

Vitae just thought I would tell you... I totally take back what I said. I just looked over Kaplan section test 7 today for the BS and they actually do require LOTS of critical thinking! I think I am gonna do one more tomorrow, they are keeping me in the right mindset. I did these near the beginning of my studying so I almost remember nothing off of them and back then I was not analyzing graphs or anything. I will let you know how I feel after my 8/10 test, but just keep in mind BS is by far the hardest section for me.

I would not slove the problem like this too much thinking. All i did was take F=Gmm/r^2, and mulitply it by 1 twice (length/length=1). The MCAT is about solving specific problems with specific systems. Sometimes the problem will have extra bull**** information that might could your thought. For example on page 175 of the official guide to the MCAT 1st. The question talks abour capacitors and inductors with is not need at all is solve the question its asking which of the following graphs is y=x and y=1/x.

The MCAT is psychological test. A test of critical think skills. If the answer doesn't answer the question then no matter how its true its automatically wrong. If your stuck on a question u must go back to the passage because the info needed is always there.

I can make a bull**** passage about how a 100 meter runners legs move in a circular motion with some formula and then ask u to do math operations or find relationships with the formula. Someone who sees this might freak out but there is really simple math disguise by extra bull****.

In short the MCAT favors individuals who can change their thinking from abstract to calculation to concept. Theres a reason why math+stats majors score higher in all sections except WS.

I agree, most problems you have to solve it based on what the passage is telling you, but if the problem is asking you simply for Force, you can answer it simply by looking at how length and volume can affect Force.

I do hear that people need to be careful that their way of thinking MUST be within the boundaries of the passage from what I've seen and heard. (Haven't taken the test yet).

Although, it would almost seem like outside knowledge is nearly not required with that sort of reality??

I thought the answer was B?

B, you should be left with units that fit the equation, converting to newtons is extra work and not necessary.

Fg=Gm1m2/r^2

A/(V*L)= m^2/m^4 = 1/m^2 = 1/R^2, which satisfies the equation.

I hear dimensional analysis is important for the MCAT, but I have yet to see any kind of problem like this on the practice tests. Got the real thing in 2 weeks.

B, you should be left with units that fit the equation, converting to newtons is extra work and not necessary.

Fg=Gm1m2/r^2

A/(V*L)= m^2/m^4 = 1/m^2 = 1/R^2, which satisfies the equation.

I hear dimensional analysis is important for the MCAT, but I have yet to see any kind of problem like this on the practice tests. Got the real thing in 2 weeks.

be familiar with units and basic algebra. you need to know all the units of force, like kg *m/s^2.. etc..

there might be a question using variables they give you and you gotta find the right units for what they want. also it doesnt hurt to be good at basic algebra considering that's the only think they will really test. they wont have you perform a triple integral to find volume or anything and there are no differential eqs.

I plan on getting some scholarly abstracts and going through them before I retake. I'm going to read them, understand what the components do, and what the side effects would be if something is inhibited, activated etc.

The BS section yesterday was downright scary. I couldn't even begin to make sense on two complete passages. That was the hardest BS section I've ever done, and a lot of people agree that took it yesterday.

I don't think this is a time-efficent way to go about things. First off, sorting through papers that aren't too advanced or are relevant would take a long time. Secondly, how do you check your understanding for correctness? If you are truly worried about BS, get more materials but this abstract method sounds a bit unreasonable.

be familiar with units and basic algebra. you need to know all the units of force, like kg *m/s^2.. etc..

there might be a question using variables they give you and you gotta find the right units for what they want. also it doesnt hurt to be good at basic algebra considering that's the only think they will really test. they wont have you perform a triple integral to find volume or anything and there are no differential eqs.

I agree, it also helps to know how units relate to each other. For example, Newtons are very similar to Joules. N*m for example, equals Kg*m^2/s^2==>Joules, which makes sense because Work (measured in Joules)=Force * distance. Or N*m/s = Watts