1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

For People Who Can Reason !!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by xDent09, Jun 14, 2008.

1. xDent09

GREETINGS
    This is a very unique situation that needs a person with experions to answer:

starting on Fall of 2007 I was register to take 13 cridets as usuall, then I was down with an apenix surgery that neiled me with an allergic reaction, I had to drop a class that required attendence, ended up with 10 cridets, The other problem is that I work 3 jobs taking care for my mom and dad, and I had no help from no one, my parents insisted for me to get married, which I did. I then after 3 weeks was on another surgery for Hornia/Varicocell, and I only took a class last semester with 3 jobs, however the good thing I did alot of dental work/ shadowing with 4 dentists. Now I am planning to take my DAT mid july, and my application is already in, which by the way I did one year of National community service with AmeriCorps.

I applied last year and was rejected for the 6 schools I applied because I really took the DAT without studing and ended up with 15/17/15.

So my question, TO BAD I DID NOT MENTION THIS IN MY PERSONAL STATMENT, I THOUGHT THAT WILL BE AGAINST ME. The way i thought is that they dont like a person who had surgeries etc. OR since i did not mention it in my PS, should I write another separate letter to each school or just dont say anything. Some people might say to say it in the interview if asked, well im scared that they dont even consider me for the interview bc of the part tims??

please help!! GOd bless all of you!!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doc toothache

Dentist
    The 2 surgeries are probably the least of your problems.

4. xDent09

IT SEEMS like you are an ache to all of your friends.

5. blankguy

Dental Student
    It's tough having your family to depend on you. A lot of people who are fresh out of college are not quite ready to provide for somebody else. I'm sorry it came out to this in your life. What is your GPA? You definitely have to retake the DAT. Maybe you can turn this whole experience into something positive for your personal statement. People who are in position to provide for others tend to have a more mature outlook. If anything this experience should have matured you. Your health is the first priority because lousy grades can be remedied however painful the remedy may be. Don't exclude this because if it shows in the transcripts it may be taken as lying or something fishy going on. It can show in Ws lack luster grades at certain stretches. It was a bad move on your part not to have mentioned it. People should have transcripts right beside them when writing the PS for consistency.

#4 blankguy, Jun 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  6. OMFSWanna

Dental Student
    This is a joke right? I think a dentest should no how to speel

7. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician, Dentist
    I think you're going to have a very challenging time getting into dental school, despite your unfortunate situation. Good luck to you.

8. mddang

Pre-Dental
    YOU are joking, right??????

9. tinman831

tinman831 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Administrator Dentist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Dentist
    I think he was. But back on topic...

10. Aceofspades

Dental Student
    Why would anyone take the DAT without studying?

11. Montserrat

Montserrat Proud of my Pats

Dental Student
    Not really sure if anyone can "help" you. The best way to help yourself is to purchase DAT review materials, and putting in time to sift through it. As human beings, the people reading your essay might feel bad for you but they will probably still toss your application in the rejection pile all the same - it's still a competitive process. You need to help yourself and not bank on their feeling sorry for you.

12. blankguy

Dental Student
    People do stupid things all the time.

13. doc toothache

Dentist
    Observation: some can't and are unReasonable..

#12 doc toothache, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  14. Andrew324

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

I thought this part was the best.

15. TheDrewYouKnew

TheDrewYouKnew Poster of the Year

Dental Student
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::D
    Nicely done!!