masksof2004

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
so from what i know... UCSF makes you do a writing sample during the interview...

for people who have already interviewed... can you guys tell us what was the topic/question of your writing sample?

and how much does the writing sample weigh in the whole selection process??

thanks,
-masksof2004

cybermech

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2006
Honolulu, HI
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
The topic is always changed, and it's usually of a philosophical nature. Mine was something like "Self-respect is a question of how willing you are to make sacrifices to achieve something you want." I was asked to explain it in a page.

I was told the writing samples are usually used to qualify the authenticity of the personal statement you wrote.

joeDDS

*UCSF Class of 2013*
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Mine was philosophical also. There's no way to study for it, but you don't have to. All you're doing is writing your response to a quote or thought that they give you. I think cybermech is right, plus it shows how you communicate without being able to revise your thoughts a thousand times like on a personal statement

About the Ads

PDizzle

PreDents.com
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
LSU, New Orleans
www.predents.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Mine was super hard!!! It was," If God is omnipotent and can do anything, can he create a rock so heavy that even he can't lift it?".

I sat there for 10 min and ended up with, "WTF?" on my paper. But, I still got in!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

UCSF2012

Tooth Rehab Student
10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Rehab Sci Student
Mine was super hard!!! It was," If God is omnipotent and can do anything, can he create a rock so heavy that even he can't lift it?".

I sat there for 10 min and ended up with, "WTF?" on my paper. But, I still got in!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It took me all of 30 seconds to come up with an answer. Yes, God can do that. Why? Gravity is the attractive force between 2 objects. When a rock gets too big, it tends to form its own gravitational field and God doesn't have to lift it.

...can you lift the Earth? Good thing you don't have to, because it just sits there in space.

admap

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
It took me all of 30 seconds to come up with an answer. Yes, God can do that. Why? Gravity is the attractive force between 2 objects. When a rock gets too big, it tends to form its own gravitational field and God doesn't have to lift it.

...can you lift the Earth? Good thing you don't have to, because it just sits there in space.

Nice one!!!:thumbup:

Too bad I did not get any love from UCSF :(

masksof2004

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
thank you guys... this helps a bit, even though i m more freaked out now than i was before!

how much time do you have to reflect on the philosophical statement??

-masksof2004

PDizzle

PreDents.com
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
LSU, New Orleans
www.predents.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Earth is just "sitting" there in space? Hmmm...I thought it was rotating around the sun's gravitational force.... been a long time since I've taken astronomy.

And second, I didn't say big, I said heavy...meaning dense. Even if the rock got so dense it out, "weighed", the earth, could God separate the earth from the rock?? If he can, then he is incapable of creating such a dense rock. If he can't, then he can't do anything he wants. Either way, he is not omnipotent....

P.S. I'm so just hav'n fun with this and REALLY don't want to start a theological debate.

PDizz out....

UCSF2012

Tooth Rehab Student
10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Rehab Sci Student
Earth is just "sitting" there in space? Hmmm...I thought it was rotating around the sun's gravitational force.... been a long time since I've taken astronomy.

And second, I didn't say big, I said heavy...meaning dense. Even if the rock got so dense it out, "weighed", the earth, could God separate the earth from the rock?? If he can, then he is incapable of creating such a dense rock. If he can't, then he can't do anything he wants. Either way, he is not omnipotent....

P.S. I'm so just hav'n fun with this and REALLY don't want to start a theological debate.

PDizz out....

He'd just make a new planet in another universe, completely unaffected by any other gravitational field. Problem solved. That planet'll just be sitting there in space, and He wouldn't have to lift it. Either ways, UCSF should send me another acceptance letter, cuz I rock.

PDizzle

PreDents.com
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
LSU, New Orleans
www.predents.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
He'd just make a new planet in another universe, completely unaffected by any other gravitational field. Problem solved. That planet'll just be sitting there in space, and He wouldn't have to lift it. Either ways, UCSF should send me another acceptance letter, cuz I rock.

Can't argue with that...you sir, do infact...ROCK!!!

PDizz....out!!!

kingovkeyz

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
haha...this question sounds like the kind of question where the adcoms laugh thier heads off at all the different responses from the applicants...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.