For people who work at a pharmacy...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After working at a pharmacy for a while, did you still want to be a pharmacist or did you reconsider?

There are a few things that I've noticed about pharmacy that I wouldn't have seen without working for one (retail pharmacy that is).

You will most likely be standing for 8 hours a day at least. I never realized how tiring it is to stand that long. I can't imagine how that would be once I get to be in my 40s or 50s.

Although the pharmacist has a doctorate degree, he/she is often treated more like a store manager than a doctor.

Those are just a couple of the things I observed that I didn't think about before working at a pharmacy. I think it's a good part time job while in school, but I don't really think it's something that I want to do as a career.

---------------

Members don't see this ad.

I have worked in a pharmacy for about 5 years. At first I did feel like I was uncertain about a future in the career, but I think it was because I worked with a terrible pharmacist. I have worked in three different stores (2 indep. and 1 chain). I am glad I have seen three different styles of running a pharmacy, it allowed me to see what does and does not work. When one pharmacy would make me doubt the profession for me, another pharmacy totally renewed my love of the field. I attribute this to a great pharmacists that I worked for at an indep. pharmacy. He taught me how to be a professional and how to approach the career. When you love your job, 8-12 hours on your feet sometimes goes by fast. I guess what I'm saying is try different settings, you may even want to get out of retail, it is not for everyone. Don't bail out yet, it may surprise you.

RLK said:
After working at a pharmacy for a while, did you still want to be a pharmacist or did you reconsider?

There are a few things that I've noticed about pharmacy that I wouldn't have seen without working for one (retail pharmacy that is).

You will most likely be standing for 8 hours a day at least. I never realized how tiring it is to stand that long. I can't imagine how that would be once I get to be in my 40s or 50s.

Although the pharmacist has a doctorate degree, he/she is often treated more like a store manager than a doctor.

Those are just a couple of the things I observed that I didn't think about before working at a pharmacy. I think it's a good part time job while in school, but I don't really think it's something that I want to do as a career.

---------------

Stick with it.

In the long run, 'tis a far better thing that you figure this out now than years and many dollars later...

Members don't see this ad :)
RLK said:

---------------

I've worked in an independent pharmacy and a chain store pharmacy for 4+ years combined. I still want to do pharmacy for sure but in the past few years I've discovered so many other careers in pharmacy that retail has become too bland for my taste.. :oops: I wouldn't mind doing it for a few years - but I don't think I could do it for the rest of my working life.

RLK said:

---------------

I totally agree with you as far as how pharmacists can be treated like store managers. But hey, doesn't that come along with the leadership skills? I worked in a pharmacy for almost 5 years, just recently quit to start pharm school in the fall. I did NOT know I wanted to pursue the career when I started working. What I saw and experienced working there convinced me that was what I wanted to do. It's amazing really. And to be honest with you, now that I'm NOT working, I miss a lot about it. I miss the customers and interaction. I miss the constant "learning" that I did there. To each his own, but I really believe I found my groove after working in a pharmacy!

And the standing thing, there are stools ya know. If you have to stand for long periods of time, you probably wont be thinking about it because chances are you're pretty busy! :)

my boss is 65 and he stands all day just like the rest of us. I work out regularly and (thus have pretty developed leg muscles), so it really doesn't bother me for 5-6 hour shifts, but i do start to get tired around hour 7 or so.

RLK said:
---------------

I'm 48 and it feels the same as standing a long time when I was in my 20's. I'm hoping my muscles won't atrophy until I'm much older.
;)

dgroulx said:
I'm 48 and it feels the same as standing a long time when I was in my 20's. I'm hoping my muscles won't atrophy until I'm much older.
;)

I guess you just need a good pair of shoes. Some padded floors wouldn't hurt either.

RLK said:

---------------

Based on your posts, I'd say, DON'T BECOME A PHARMACIST!!!! I don't even believe that you really want to be one.