For people who's in the Walgreens Summer Internship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letjin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have questions for people who're in the walgreens summer internship program. Do you know if this employment ends at the end of summer? Or does it automatically translate into employment during the school year?

If you want to work during the school, do you think you need to "apply" as non WAG employee? Talk to my current pharmacy manager? Talk to our district recruiter? Talk to the district manager?

I'm asking here because I'm already asking too much questions to my pharmacy staff ;) and.. right now the pharmacy I work at is kind of overstaffed because they're trying to fit me as an full-time intern. The scheduling is kind of sensitive, since there are 6 other techs that have been working there for a long time, and they're getting less hours because of me. :eek: I do not want to ask my pharmacy manager, for the above reason and because 2 of them just became intern.
Anyways, to secure a job for the fall, should I try to apply now? It kinda feels awkward to apply, since I'm already working but I just dunno what to do.
Sigh. I luckly got summer internship but it's not so easy to find a pharm tech job around here.

Members don't see this ad.

letjin said:
I have questions for people who're in the walgreens summer internship program. Do you know if this employment ends at the end of summer? Or does it automatically translate into employment during the school year?

If you want to work during the school, do you think you need to "apply" as non WAG employee? Talk to my current pharmacy manager? Talk to our district recruiter? Talk to the district manager?

I'm asking here because I'm already asking too much questions to my pharmacy staff ;) and.. right now the pharmacy I work at is kind of overstaffed because they're trying to fit me as an full-time intern. The scheduling is kind of sensitive, since there are 6 other techs that have been working there for a long time, and they're getting less hours because of me. :eek: I do not want to ask my pharmacy manager, for the above reason and because 2 of them just became intern.
Anyways, to secure a job for the fall, should I try to apply now? It kinda feels awkward to apply, since I'm already working but I just dunno what to do.
Sigh. I luckly got summer internship but it's not so easy to find a pharm tech job around here.

The Walgreens internship is for 12 weeks. Mine ends the 1st week of August.

If you want to continue working, I'd contact your DM and see if there are any openings in your district. It looks like your store doesn't need any help, but there may be openings elsewhere. It's hard to find a position in my area, too. The same thing happened with tech hours when I came on board. It doesn't make me the most loved person in the pharmacy.

I don't work during the school year, so I don't have any other information to give you. I would apply now, though. If any openings appear, at least they'll have your name.

letjin said:

i'm doing the wal-mart internship so i don't know if i'll be of any help. my hours aren't charged against the pharmacy hours, so my scheduling doesn't really matter. i'm going to be evaluated at the end of the 12 weeks and will be offered employment at that time (i've worked here for 2 years already though). at this time, they can keep me as an intern, let me go :rolleyes: , or demote me to tech. how is your internship like? i'm not really supposed to do anymore "tech" work; i'm supposed to do stuff out of this workbook that they gave me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dana, it seems like a good idea to contact DM... I think I might do that after my mid-term eval. I just want to work 4hr/wk..to pay for my car.

nguyenkd said:
how is your internship like? i'm not really supposed to do anymore "tech" work; i'm supposed to do stuff out of this workbook that they gave me.
I'm gonna be P1 this fall so I'm just doing tech work. P2's and P3's are doing the tech work also but they have "projects" where they look up OTC's, Rx's, and do some other pharmacy related things for about 3-5hrs/week.
They told us that the internship is to help cover the vacations for their regular employees.

Bumping this thread...

I am considering the Walgreens summer internship for this summer.

They are telling me that the interns don't do a lot of tech work, because they are extra help at the stores. They have meetings and seminars for the interns on Fridays, and some trips to different Walgreens facilities.

I'm a little tired of the company I work for now and want to see what else is out there.

Anyone else done this program?

All4MyDaughter said:
Bumping this thread...

I am considering the Walgreens summer internship for this summer.

They are telling me that the interns don't do a lot of tech work, because they are extra help at the stores. They have meetings and seminars for the interns on Fridays, and some trips to different Walgreens facilities.

I'm a little tired of the company I work for now and want to see what else is out there.

Anyone else done this program?

Well, I've found out what district managers tell you at the internship metting is different than what you'll get at the actual pharmacy.

From the district managers point - you're pharmacy student, so they want you to come back and work for them later. They tell you that you'll work as intern, have different responsibilities, get trained well, and whatever.

From the pharmacy managers point - they already have all the staff they need, but they are being handed an extra full time person who is more expensive than other experienced techs. Pharmacy manager's bonus depends some on the pharmacy profit and etc, and interns most likely affect the pharmacy budget a little bit. Or it might tick off the other techs, who are getting their hours cut. But people can be nice or they can treat you like crap, so it really depends.

I assume by this point you've already signed up or decided not to do this?

Hey- this may sound stupid, but does the internship pay? I applied for a job and they told me they were fully staffed but had an open internship 30 min. away. If it doesn't pay, I can't afford the gas to drive there, so I'm just trying to figure things out. I have to tell them tommorrow so any help I could get would be great!!
Thanks
Anna

letjin said:
Well, I've found out what district managers tell you at the internship metting is different than what you'll get at the actual pharmacy.

From the district managers point - you're pharmacy student, so they want you to come back and work for them later. They tell you that you'll work as intern, have different responsibilities, get trained well, and whatever.

From the pharmacy managers point - they already have all the staff they need, but they are being handed an extra full time person who is more expensive than other experienced techs. Pharmacy manager's bonus depends some on the pharmacy profit and etc, and interns most likely affect the pharmacy budget a little bit. Or it might tick off the other techs, who are getting their hours cut. But people can be nice or they can treat you like crap, so it really depends.

I assume by this point you've already signed up or decided not to do this?

Yeah, I am doing it.

It pays $10.50/hour as opposed to $8/hour at Kroger.

I'm just extra help for the pharmacy, and as far as I can tell, my hours aren't charged against the store or pharmacy budget.

I'm working 8:30 - 4:30 Monday through Thursday with the mandatory meetings on Fridays. We work two hours on Friday and get paid for 8 hours. :D

hi!

do you happen to know if Walgreen's hire pharmacists from abroad (im from the Philippines)?

please.. i need your reply.

i have no problem whatsoever living in small towns and relocations.

thank you so much!

God bless us all. :)

PS: im actually just about to graduate next year. no license yet. just want to be prepared when that day finally comes. no time to waste!!

hi!

do you happen to know if Walgreen's hire pharmacists from abroad (im from the Philippines)?

please.. i need your reply.

i have no problem whatsoever living in small towns and relocations.

thank you so much!

God bless us all. :)

PS: im actually just about to graduate next year. no license yet. just want to be prepared when that day finally comes. no time to waste!!

Well, at least you used the search function.... not really a relevant thread, though...

I think we need more information. Are you attending pharmacy school in the Phillipines, or are you an international student at a US school?

bump.

is anyone applying to the walgreens internship for summer 2012? Did they come to southern california yet? Any insight would be great, thanks!

Yeah... although it's not so much applying, really. I'm currently an employee, and my pharmacy manager is running the program and pretty much assured me I'd get a spot. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to conflict with my summer IPPE... still have to figure out if and how I'll manage a workaround.