FOR POPOY: INFORMATION NEEDED ON NHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant2002

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the process for applying for the NHSC scholarship? What are the criteria for selection for the scholarship? Approx. how many people are selected for the scholarship. Do you have any suggestions for getting the scholarship or any other information?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I forgot to add these two questions in my post above.
How can you show your committment to primary care? Is the processing rolling?

Thanks for all your help. I deeply appreciate all your help. :D :) :D

For more information check the NHSC website - although it appears to have some problems at the moment. To receive an application, call the NHSC at 1-800-638-0824. Applications are due by March 1. As far as showing your commitment to primary care, once you have completed medical school you are required to choose a residency in family medicine, internal medicine, ob/gyn, pediatrics, or psychiatry. If you do not take one of these residencies you then must pay back double amount they had given you in the scholarship, i.e. tuition, fees, and stipend.

The service they require of you is one year for each year of tuition scholarship - four yers. You can also just take two years of the scholarship and serve two years. The majority of the service sites are rural site but there are some urban sites and some prisons. Service sites can be searched at the NHSC AIR website.

Note that the stipends are considerably less than expected since you have to pay the taxes on the entire scholarship as if it were income. If you go to a $30,000/year school, you must pay the taxes as if you had earned $42,000 (tuition plust $1,000/month stipend) or about $7,000.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, 2 corrections to the above:

If you forfeit, you pay back TRIPLE the amount incurred; and as of 1-1-2002, you only have to pay income tax on the stipend.

Now, having just skimmed through the material on the website, I have a question, the answer to which was not clear to me from the info: Do you get to pick like a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice, sort of like with the residency and rotation matches? Or do you just apply to the individual sites and work out the details with the site you want yourself?

Thanks,
mompremed

Thanks for the info on the new tax regulations. I knew they had been pushing that for many years and didn't realize they finally got it. It makes the scholarship much more attractive.

I would think there is an application process for the service positions but from a quick perusal of the web site it seems there are many more available positions than people to fill those positions. Obviously some positions are more attractive than others.

The pay is not all that high (even less than military) so people tend to look down upon it. However, if you include the tutition/stipend (assuming a $25,000+ school) the pay is comensurate with starting salaries in those specialties.

The scholarship is quite competitive with around seven applicants per position. I would imagine showing long term service activities (lengthy volunteer assignments) and working in "underserved" areas would be the types of things the scholarship committee is looking for.

Well.... I guess you got your questions answered before I got the chance to respond.

If there are any other questions I may be able to answer just post up or send me a private message.

Been working on exams this past few weeks sorry for my absence and delayed response....

:)

hey popoy.... are u J.P.? i had an interview at DMU a coupleweeks ago and i think we talked over lunch,

hehe.. Popoy is a popular guy..

Originally posted by realruby2000:
•hey popoy.... are u J.P.? i had an interview at DMU a coupleweeks ago and i think we talked over lunch,•••

Yup.... I am.... :)
and yup.... we probably did talk over lunch.... :)

Small world huh?! ;)

I hope your interview went well and that you consider DMU.... If you ever have a question don't hesitate to send me a private message or email :) ....

thanks for the replies. do you know what the NHSC application is like and what questions they ask on the app.
what about the interview?
also, when do you get notified of the decision.

Originally posted by applicant2002:
•thanks for the replies. do you know what the NHSC application is like and what questions they ask on the app.
what about the interview?
also, when do you get notified of the decision.•••

NHSC application is about 10-15pages long.
It contains the basic name, address, what school you will be attending, what specialty do you plan to get into (ie: FP, Gen IM, Gen Peds, Psych, OB/GYN).

You basically respond to question regarding what type of a person you are.
Ex: Would you rather play tennis or football? (the basic premise of this is whether or not you can work in a team.... obviously you pick the one that shows that you can work in a team)

I'm at the library studyin' right now for an upcoming histo exam but as soon as I get a chance I'll post up specific questions.... I'll try and do that tonight when I get home.... if I can remember.... :)

As far as the interview it was very "mechanical" as well.... issues such as
- Have you ever encountered a major personal problem the past year? How did you resolve the problem"
- What activities have you done the past year?
- What type of economic or environmental background did you grow up in?

I interviewed around May.... Got notified of an acceptance in September.... got my ORC and stipend last week ;)

Okay.... that's it for now.... back to HISTOLOGY!!! YOOOHOOO!!! :cool:

BTW, I got my application last year on January 18 and turned it in on January 26/29.... Just to give you an idea.... Search the forum for me.... I did a list of the exact dates of what I had when through last year.... :)

Originally posted by applicant2002:
•Approx. how many people are selected for the scholarship.•••

In 2000 there were 284 first-time awardees according to the <a href="http://www.cfda.gov/public/viewprog.asp?progid=1238" target="_blank">Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance</a>.

It's pretty much what Popoy said in his post, but if you've ever taken a "Myers-Briggs" inventory, that is essentially what the application is like. There are no right or wrong answers to the questions, it is basically what your preferences are ie, I remember one of the questions was Do you like to study alone? They take those answers and it gives them a profile for you and they will decide if you get an interview. It is a timed interview (at least it was when I participated 3 years ago) with specific questions that were sealed immediately prior to the interview. A very good way to go if you plan on going the primary care route. Good luck.

tedsadoc2002 prett much summed up the application
"It's pretty much what Popoy said in his post, but if you've ever taken a "Myers-Briggs" inventory, that is essentially what the application is like. There are no right or wrong answers to the questions, it is basically what your preferences are ie"

I remember if you went on a 7 day camping trip and at day 3 it started to rain whould you
a. continue the trip
b. pack up and go home

It is a personality test. The interview is with 2 people who open what appear to be test booklets but are actually booklets full of questions. My interview was quite pleasant with both interviewer scribbling notes to my questions in their books. If you can show your compassionthrough examples both personal and professional; and your strong desire to help those truely underserved you will have no problem securing an interview. I interviewed on my birthday in May and received acceptance in early July.

The stipend is about $1100/mo after taxes about $702. They pay tuition and unlike the military give you a check for what the school says your required texts cost, enabling you to buy the books you really need and to buy review books not on the list with the money provided. They do pay for computer rental and for instruments and for health insurance (self only).

I feel it is a good program.

Good luck
:) D

ok, im a little confused about this. lets say i get the scholarship and decide to keep it for 4 years. That would mean i would have to serve in one of their designated "underserved" areas right after my residency right?

1. Where can i find a list of the areas that are considered underserved?

2. How well are you financially comphensated when you are working in these areas. I remember someone told me that you are allowed to negotiate your salary, but someone here posted that they pay u like crap ...worse than the military.

3. Does this have anything to do with the military?

4. Thank you!!

1. Go to <a href="http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/nhsc/Main/new_home.htm" target="_blank">this</a> link and do a search. Be sure to select physcian, NHSC SCHOLAR OPPORTUNITY, as those that receive the scholarship are only elligible for the highest priority sites. Other sites are reserved for those in the loan repayment program or just regular National Health Service Corps members.

2. According to the <a href="http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/nhsc/Pages/joining_nhsc/1E_know_scholarships5.htm" target="_blank">website</a> salaries vary from $60,000 to $100,000.

3. This has nothing to do with the military. However, it is funded by the federal government.

4. You're welcome.

One last opinion. Although that salary is not great, you must add in the scholarship and stipend. The scholarship includes tuition, books, and fees. The stipend is about $12,000 per year. If you go to a private school the total amount per year of school can add up to around $45,000 for a total of $180,000 for four years. Add the interest that you would have accrued while in residency had you not gotten a scholarship but instead had used loans (at 6.5% for three years that would be about $35,000). So, they are paying a total scholarship of $215,000. If the position you get only pays $60,000 per year, add in one-quarter of the $215,000 they already gave you and your salary is more like $104,000 per year. That is pretty good for a first-year physician in primary care. Your salary is more likely to be in the $80,000 range making it $124,000 per year...about the average across the country for all primary care physicians.

Caveat: NHSC Scholarships are only for those that want to work in primary care in an underserved area. Just as the military scholarships are only for those that want to be in the military. Don't make your life miserable just for money...it is never worth it.