For Pre-Med Mothers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CDT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to go to medical school and become a doctor, but I have two small children and do not want to be an absent parent. I was just wondering if anyone out there finished med-school and residency while raising children and what the experience was like.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

many schools offer extended programs, which break up your medical school career into smaller, but longer chunks. So you basically take longer to finish med school, but also have fewer demands. I recommend that you look into this when applying to medical schools, as it seems it would be a determining factor for you. It also somewhat depends on what type of medicine you want to practice. Family med or peds wouldn't pose a problem, but a competitive specialty would be more demanding school-wise.

I personally do not have any kids, but a LOT of my classmates do. There are several women with children, as well as lots of men.

check out the mommd.com forums for more info relevant to this!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is possible, but it would not come without a cost. Have you checked out the non-traditional forum? You might see some stuff that surprises you. Good Luck.

Is the non-traditional forum on this site or do you mean to check with the individual med-schools. Sorry I'm brand new to this site.
Thanks,
CDT

There are some parents in my class. It seems like it's no different time-wise (for the preclinical years at least) than working a full time job and being a parent. You will have to expect that you probably won't be at the top of your class.

Last edited:
There are plenty of people in my class with kids, and several of them are actually doing quite well. However, I'd plan on a C=MD med school effort. If you do better, great, but don't beat yourself up about not topping out the class. Most other people have the ability to focus solely on school. You won't.