For prelim scramblers who matched advanced neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

typhoonegator

Neurointensivist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who matched into an advanced neurology program but need to scramble for a prelim, don't forget you can call the NRMP this AM and they have to tell you what state you matched in. For some of you, this might tell you where you matched, but more importantly, it helps you focus down where you'd most like to scramble into a prelim spot.

If, based on your ROL and this information, you can tell where you matched for your advanced position, it would behoove you to call the program coordinator and let them know the situation. They deal with this every year, and they can help you with the scramble. Remember, it is to the neuro program's advantage to have all their residents placed for internship, so they will be motivated to help.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess none of the current cohort of posters had this trouble this year. Either that, or people are keeping quiet.

For those of you who matched into an advanced neurology program but need to scramble for a prelim, don't forget you can call the NRMP this AM and they have to tell you what state you matched in. For some of you, this might tell you where you matched, but more importantly, it helps you focus down where you'd most like to scramble into a prelim spot.

If, based on your ROL and this information, you can tell where you matched for your advanced position, it would behoove you to call the program coordinator and let them know the situation. They deal with this every year, and they can help you with the scramble. Remember, it is to the neuro program's advantage to have all their residents placed for internship, so they will be motivated to help.

your recommendations are always appreciated... thanks once again

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess none of the current cohort of posters had this trouble this year. Either that, or people are keeping quiet.
The situation is always there; I'm one of them. The problem is that contacting your program before the match ends is violation of match - PDs will refuse contacting you before that time. Other PDs might have limited communication with other IM programs. Then, you stuck with yourself. Do you know any source for finding such spot?

I wish I did. Just keep contacting any folks you know and hope something opens up. Good luck.:luck:

Thanks m8, it is very tough!

I know a few people who contacted the doctors who wrote their letters of recommendation to see if they knew of any openings....not sure if that helps, but definitely good luck either way!