for prepharm who wants to do 2YEARs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Da Alchemist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
all the students who wants to do or plan the 2 year prerequesit and continue the 4 year Pharm.D? when asked what is your major? what do you reply or suppose to say? im confused, i know if you do the "get BS route then apply to pharmacy" youll have to have a major. but what if you plan to do the 2 year prepharm?

Members don't see this ad.

all the students who wants to do or plan the 2 year prerequesit and continue the 4 year Pharm.D? when asked what is your major? what do you reply or suppose to say? im confused, i know if you do the "get BS route then apply to pharmacy" youll have to have a major. but what if you plan to do the 2 year prepharm?

you can be an undeclared major if you wish.

Well, many of my friends went the four-year route because they couldn't get in during their second year.;)

If you do the 2-year pre-pharmacy route, you just fulfill the prereq requirements for your prospective pharmacy schools. You can declare a major, you just won't get a degree for it should you get accepted into pharmacy school after year 2.

For many undergraduate institutions, you'll be listed under something like "general studies" if you don't declare a major or you'll declare a major when registering for your first semester of classes. If you haven't declared a major yet, I would choose one just in case you don't get in the first time in year 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea so i went to the admissions to apply and get ready for the 2 year route. i planned everything of what to say etc. then i got asked by. what is your major? i stuttered n honestly said i dont know. kinda embarrasing. the lady mustve thought that i dont know what i want to do with life lol

You can just say you're majoring in a science such as bio, chem, genetics etc... as long as you finish the 2yr prereqs -- your major doesnt matter if you don't get a degree in it.

Why not say you are a pre-pharm major? That's what I say.:thumbup:

Why not say you are a pre-pharm major? That's what I say.:thumbup:

Because everyone + their cat + and their dog say they are pre-pharmacy majors... When people asked me what i was doing - I just told them education - when they asked me if I wanted to teach, I said "No - I just want education"

As far as declaring a major - at UF you can declare Pre-pharmacy. Its a 2 year major with no degree however - at the end of 2 years, you must either matriculate into pharmacy (somewhere), or declare a new major for a BA/BS.

I selected Botany - it worked out fine for me - I am on the 3 year track - slow and steady wins the race...

~above~

My experience is that your transcripts will indicate your declared major at the school. If that's the case with yours, I'd say use that one, even if it's undeclared. Having said that, you can declare whatever major you want. If you declared Public Health or Health Administration, that is what would be on your transcript, even if you didn't actually intend completing it. Now that is the less ethical way to go. What I'd suggest is declare a major that you would be interested in completing if you didn't get accepted after your 2nd/3rd years so that worst case scenario you actually finish with a BS/BA if you don't get in before you have a bachelors. If you look at the thread "non-science majors," you'll notice you can get in with any degree under the sun. (French and Interior Design were probably the most unrelated that I saw). So do your prereqs, have a major, any major, and get in in two years. If you aren't able to, do what you want to do, not what you think you're expected to. (It doesn't have to be Chem/Bio/Biochem)