For Recent MCAT takers, is EK orgo good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsherLev

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those people who recently took the MCAT, was Examkrackers Orgo detailed/appropriate in relation to the organic questions on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to believe so. It is important to note that there is very little orgo being tested on the MCAT nowadays. It is at most 2 passages out of 7 or 8 (in my case it was only 1) and the material being tested is pretty basic. Therefore, you understand the orgo in EK and are able to extrapolate that information to the passages presented it should more than enough. However, you should know ALL the material in those 4 chapters inside and out.
Hope this helps.

I used EK and felt very prepared for the orgo part... I dont have my real scores back yet, but I scored 100% in orgo on all the AAMC practice exams after using EK.

Understand how the functional groups work, and the general mechanisms for major reactions (SN1, SN2, Nu and E addition, Elimination) I found it helpful to know chapter 4 very, very well for the exam...

I agree, I used EK and thought it was great. In fact I think it is the best book because it focuses on the fundamentals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used EK and felt prepared. Of course there was almost no Orgo. on the test I took (JUly 13) so I didn't really need to be overly prepared anyway.

I honestly thought reading a few of the passages felt like I was reading the Kaplan dense passages. Maybe mix in a little bit of Kaplan practice.

I honestly thought reading a few of the passages felt like I was reading the Kaplan dense passages. Maybe mix in a little bit of Kaplan practice.
That is a good point. Use EK to study and Kaplan for practice. I did that since the Kaplan BS practice material seemed to be on par with the AAMC material and actual MCAT.