For recent step 2 takers: Is neuro clerkship necessary for ck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Becky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to take step 2 right after my medicine rotation. before my neuro clerkship. Is stuff on the neuro shelf important to know in order to do well on step 2?

thanks for any response from people who have taken step 2.

Members don't see this ad.

Neuro is important, but I don't think it's necessary to take the clerkship.

A small but significant part of this test is answering multiple choice questions about things you've never seen before, but know about because of review books and USMLEWorld.

I am planning to take step 2 right after my medicine rotation. before my neuro clerkship. Is stuff on the neuro shelf important to know in order to do well on step 2?

thanks for any response from people who have taken step 2.

All of the neuro questions ( I had like 3) were discussed in First Aid.

yeah, you totally don't need to have done a clerkship in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Along the same lines, neurology is one of my weak points- would it be worth it to read "Neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple" if I seriously don't remember much from basic neuro from first and second yr or for those of you who took the test, will it be fine as long as I can recognize patterns, symptoms etc similar to what they give on UW? I just can't seem to memorize different lesions and the symptoms that correspond.

I had very very few neuro questions. Taking the clerkship did not help me in the least.

Along the same lines, neurology is one of my weak points- would it be worth it to read "Neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple" if I seriously don't remember much from basic neuro from first and second yr or for those of you who took the test, will it be fine as long as I can recognize patterns, symptoms etc similar to what they give on UW? I just can't seem to memorize different lesions and the symptoms that correspond.

Just read First Aid.