FOR SALE: Used Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gkrodg00

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but what did you think of UK? I think that's my first choice and want to see what someone who has went all the way there thinks.

I am interested in PBL and the patient contact aspects.

Thanks for any information.

Well, its a good school (w/o having anything else to compare to) with a few great faculty, a lot of average faculty and a few marginal faculty (basic science and clinical).

Like anywhere, its you get out what you put in. The 2 basic science years aren't much different from college, you go to class and take tests, only you have to learn a little faster. The 2 clinical years fly by with 4th year being a vacation year. 1st and 2nd years you have plenty of free time and can go out most weekends. 1st year you only go to class from 8-12 on most days with a couple of worthless PBL's ruining an afternoon the rest of the week.

As for the PBL format, I think its very inefficient. I would much rather have a lecture than small group learning. I never, never got anything out of the small groups. What you learn in an hour session could be read in 5 minutes.

The early clinical experience they advertise is mostly play interviews and play exams with actors. 1st year you get a 4th year medical student to show you how to put you stethoscope in right and learn the exam on a partner. 2nd year you get an attending or resident to teach you how to do an H&P. The early exposure isn't anything you wouldn't pick up in the first 2 weeks of 3rd year and is mostly a waste of afternoons.

UK is a great campus in a pretty fun college town, Lexington, KY. Parking sucks at UK and the bars close a 1 a.m. Traffic can be ridiculous at times, for a city a small as Lexington. Lousivill & Cincinnati are only an hour away, Knoxville 2 hr. and 15 min., Nashville 2 hr. and 45 min. Great selection of restaurants and golf courses.

All said, I'm happy to have gone here. I only applied to UK and Louisville. I was accepted at both. I went to college here and decided to stay here. I've heard some bad stories about UofL, esp. malignant 3rd year rotations, but both are good schools. Unless a school really sucks or is top tier, pick a school based on where you're gonna be happy living for 4 years, b/c they all teach the same thing in similar ways. You have to study anywhere you go. Everyone takes the same USMLE exams to get licensed.

Hope this helped. Feel free to email for other or more specific questions.

Good luck,
Greg

p.s. Where else did you get in at?