For schools that like non-trads: International Law school dropout story?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorinthesky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all

Just got my secondary from Geisel today (pre-verification!) and of course, the first thing I did was peruse SDN for tips, and found that they really like non-trad / quirky students.

I need help with my "additional info" essay.

I'm currently an international student, undergrad at a U.S. university, but I do have a story with a twist -- I was enrolled in law school for a semester in my home country before I decided to drop law and pursue medicine in the U.S. instead.

While there were many reasons I did that, I want to mention that I was struggling with depression at the time of dropping out, a student committed suicide on campus and that worsened it even more. I also felt like I really didn't fit in as a law student, since I had always been a strong science student in high school, but felt like I wasn't good enough to get into medical school at home, and never really gave myself the chance to try, and ended up regretting it. I also would like to mention that as an international student, of course medical school in the U.S. is a much harder option, but I am dedicated enough to have chosen this path, and am thankful for the U.S. to have given me a second chance to fix my life.

I was just really worried that this topic is risky as it could potentially sound like a sob story/ like I'm badmouthing law school / make me out to be a fickle-minded, immature person. But I really changed with this experience and grew as a person, so part of me wants to tell this story.

Please let me know, honestly, what you guys think. :) Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hugely risky topics. First, doctors are around death all the time so the notion that a suicide on campus worsened your depression isn't going to be met with positive sentiments. And medicine doesn't like "excuses".

Second, dropping out of another professional school is thought the strongest indicator of whether one will actually complete medical school.

Third, when changing fields you have to be seen being attracted to medicine for some concrete reason, not running away from the prior field. We don't seek other fields malcontents. Having "always been a strong science student" isn't a strong enough of a pull to medicine, you need real experiences, usually from shadowing/health volunteering that made you know this was your passion. Med school isn't something you do so you have no regrets -- it's something you do because you want to do the job function of Doctor, based on X, Y and Z experiences you had during ECs. And don't mention the not fitting in in law school -- medicine and law are actually more similar than different.

Finally, you probably don't want to play up battling with depression. You actually want to do a lot of soul searching as to whether med school is even a good place for you because frankly medical school and training is among the most isolating and difficult and people already prone to depression sometimes have big issues. You'll be working overnights, sleep deprived, not have adequate time with friends, family and support network, bad diet and exercise regimens and surrounded a lot of competitive type A people. For whatever reason you'll see on SDN that medicine attracts a lot of people with psychiatric histories, but for a subset it's actually not such a healthy place. Do soul searching and know thyself.

In short I would play down and/or tread very carefully regarding much of what you've listed.

Reactions: 4 users
Do be aware that secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naive, if not pathologically optimistic.

Also be aware that med school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students.

Also be aware that international applicants need to be in the top 5-10% of applicants...ie, Harvard/Stanford caliber. Are your stats in this ballpark?

Hey all

Just got my secondary from Geisel today (pre-verification!) and of course, the first thing I did was peruse SDN for tips, and found that they really like non-trad / quirky students.

I need help with my "additional info" essay.

I'm currently an international student, undergrad at a U.S. university, but I do have a story with a twist -- I was enrolled in law school for a semester in my home country before I decided to drop law and pursue medicine in the U.S. instead.

While there were many reasons I did that, I want to mention that I was struggling with depression at the time of dropping out, a student committed suicide on campus and that worsened it even more. I also felt like I really didn't fit in as a law student, since I had always been a strong science student in high school, but felt like I wasn't good enough to get into medical school at home, and never really gave myself the chance to try, and ended up regretting it. I also would like to mention that as an international student, of course medical school in the U.S. is a much harder option, but I am dedicated enough to have chosen this path, and am thankful for the U.S. to have given me a second chance to fix my life.

I was just really worried that this topic is risky as it could potentially sound like a sob story/ like I'm badmouthing law school / make me out to be a fickle-minded, immature person. But I really changed with this experience and grew as a person, so part of me wants to tell this story.

Please let me know, honestly, what you guys think. :) Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do be aware that secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naive, if not pathologically optimistic.

Also be aware that med school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students.

Also be aware that international applicants need to be in the top 5-10% of applicants...ie, Harvard/Stanford caliber. Are your stats in this ballpark?

That was a bit harsh, but I guess my post warranted it.
Stats aren't the best, 514 MCAT, 3.9 GPA. Applying across the board, MD as well as DO.

Hugely risky topics. First, doctors are around death all the time so the notion that a suicide on campus worsened your depression isn't going to be met with positive sentiments. And medicine doesn't like "excuses".

Second, dropping out of another professional school is thought the strongest indicator of whether one will actually complete medical school.

Third, when changing fields you have to be seen being attracted to medicine for some concrete reason, not running away from the prior field. We don't seek other fields malcontents. Having "always been a strong science student" isn't a strong enough of a pull to medicine, you need real experiences, usually from shadowing/health volunteering that made you know this was your passion. Med school isn't something you do so you have no regrets -- it's something you do because you want to do the job function of Doctor, based on X, Y and Z experiences you had during ECs. And don't mention the not fitting in in law school -- medicine and law are actually more similar than different.

Finally, you probably don't want to play up battling with depression. You actually want to do a lot of soul searching as to whether med school is even a good place for you because frankly medical school and training is among the most isolating and difficult and people already prone to depression sometimes have big issues. You'll be working overnights, sleep deprived, not have adequate time with friends, family and support network, bad diet and exercise regimens and surrounded a lot of competitive type A people. For whatever reason you'll see on SDN that medicine attracts a lot of people with psychiatric histories, but for a subset it's actually not such a healthy place. Do soul searching and know thyself.

In short I would play down and/or tread very carefully regarding much of what you've listed.

Thanks so much for your input, I'm pretty sure medical school is where I want to be, I have fought depression multiple times so I'm pretty sure I can take care of myself, but honestly, thanks for your concern :)

As for the essay, I think I'll stick to the old diversity/why I chose this school topics.