For schools that require X amount of science credit hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r4y

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some schools require a specific number of credit hours for subjects. For example, let's say a school requires 12 credit hours of bio. My questions is, can research lab credits (from a physiology/biology research lab) count towards the 12 credit hour requirement?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools require a specific number of credit hours for subjects. For example, let's say a school requires 12 credit hours of bio. My questions is, can research lab credits (from a physiology/biology research lab) count towards the 12 credit hour requirement?
In general, credit hours count toward a student's progress toward her or his degree (i.e., your degree's specific graduation requirements). The number of credit hours assigned to a course quantitatively reflects the outcomes expected, the mode of instruction, the amount of time spent in class, and the amount of outside preparatory work expected for the class.

So, it's advisable to ask your academic counselor or academic advisor for the correct response to this question in connection with the academic policies of your school. Otherwise, you might have to enroll in additional courses to satisfy the "credit hour" requirements at your particular school if your school limits the amount of credit hours which a student may be entitled to receive (e.g., in connection with participation in a research lab).

Thank you.

Last edited:
Are you referring to the policies of the schools you are applying to? I have heard some schools will allow research to "count" in lieu of a Bio lab requirement, for example, but it varies from school to school. I don't know many schools that require 12 credits of Bio though so if you have General Biology 1 and 2 (with lab) you are probably fine.