For secondary essays with no word limit, how long is too long?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm in the process of writing a secondary essay right now, and I have a lot to say on the issue. They didn't provide a maximum length, so i figure that allows me the freedom to speak about everything that i want to.

I know that being concise is important, so I'm trying my best to avoid going on rants and tangents, I still think the essay may come out quite lengthy (1500 words) maybe.

Is this too long? I think it's a good essay but I don't want it to be held against me that i wrote all of that. Conversely, they may be pleased to see that i have a lot to say on an issue that is important to the school.

What are your thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few thoughts on this and I hope it is helpful! Is it a single essay or are there multiple essays?

I think the ~1,500 word count is appropriate if it is a single essay. If there are 4 or more, I would try to limit it to about 500 words and try to touch more on what you want to say through the other essays. If there are only 2 essays, maybe 750-1,000 would be okay. I know the word count for the essays I completed (In which there were 3 or more) were 500 words except for one school which had one essay with a 1,500 word limit.

Either way, I would try to be concise but word it in a way that highlights your strengths and how they align with the mission of the school. Also, keep in mind that committees are reading hundreds of secondaries after as many primaries; so the fewer the word count, the better. Good Luck!

I have a few thoughts on this and I hope it is helpful! Is it a single essay or are there multiple essays?

I think the ~1,500 word count is appropriate if it is a single essay. If there are 4 or more, I would try to limit it to about 500 words and try to touch more on what you want to say through the other essays. If there are only 2 essays, maybe 750-1,000 would be okay. I know the word count for the essays I completed (In which there were 3 or more) were 500 words except for one school which had one essay with a 1,500 word limit.

Either way, I would try to be concise but word it in a way that highlights your strengths and how they align with the mission of the school. Also, keep in mind that committees are reading hundreds of secondaries after as many primaries; so the fewer the word count, the better. Good Luck!

It's only one essay and the total count turned out to be just under 1,100 words.

Reactions: 1 user
IMHO 500 words is the limit for me to read without having too much pause.