For State Licensure...International --> Domestic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matthewmcnulty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To be admitted as a dentist in my state, I have to graduate from a US accredited dental school. Can I circumvent the law by obtaining my DDS from a foreign institution and then specialize in the US (endo, perio, etc.) ???

I have huge debt from previous degrees and am trying to minimize my expenses.

Members don't see this ad.

To be admitted as a dentist in my state, I have to graduate from a US accredited dental school. Can I circumvent the law by obtaining my DDS from a foreign institution and then specialize in the US (endo, perio, etc.) ???

You're trying to minimize your expenses by 1) moving out of the country, 2) applying to & completing dental school, 3) moving back to the country, and 4) spending another $100,000 on specialty training?

you can, but it will be very competitive and probably a long process. I'd graduated about a year ago from abroad, where my tuition per sem was roughly $1K, compared to roughly 90K per year in dental schools here in the states. Now, I'm competiting for an IDP spot so that ultimately one day I will be licensed here. In the long run I'll probably save more money since that most IDP programs require only two years of schooling, so apparently my debt won't be as much as those who did the whole four years. But the thing is the process would be long and arduous. And though the standard of education is questionable, the important thing is you get your degree and do well on your boards.