For Step 1, what exactly are Clara cells?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChessMaster3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know what Clara cells are. My question is, FOR STEP 1, what are clara cells? They secrete a component of surfactant, but on step 1 surfactant producing cells are Type 2 pneumocytes. They degrade toxins with a cyp450 SER, but on Step 1 such a description would almost always apply to a hepatocyte. They ahve secretory granules, but so do a ton of other cells. They act as "reserve cells" but again, on step 1 this is the case with Type 2 pneumocytes. So--if there is a distinguishing feature of club cells that is testable on step 1, i dont know what it is. The only thing I got is that it is nonciliated.

Members don't see this ad.

I know what Clara cells are. My question is, FOR STEP 1, what are clara cells? They secrete a component of surfactant, but on step 1 surfactant producing cells are Type 2 pneumocytes. They degrade toxins with a cyp450 SER, but on Step 1 such a description would almost always apply to a hepatocyte. They ahve secretory granules, but so do a ton of other cells. They act as "reserve cells" but again, on step 1 this is the case with Type 2 pneumocytes. So--if there is a distinguishing feature of club cells that is testable on step 1, i dont know what it is. The only thing I got is that it is nonciliated.
The only Step 1 nugget I can think of is that bronchioloalveolar carcinoma may arise from clara cells.

Reactions: 1 user