for stony brook applicants out there..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

New York

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, I'm working on my stony brook secondary questions and for the question that asks you which contemporary medical issue in our health care system needs to be addressed and why?, what did you guys talk about and how indepth? also, did you guys cite any literature (i.e. online sources, magazines, etc..)
I'm writing about prescription drugs and I dont know if i should include citations or just write about what i know..
Btw, anyone know how to cite sources from the web??

any feedback or advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I discussed Managed Care, and its role in the health care sysem. How it came to be and why it became the most dominant player the health care today. The issue I discussed was that the role of MCO's should be defined clearer, and that patients' rights should supercede corporate goals. I discussed specific examples, and some legislation that is in the pipelines. I cited one article that was in the NYTimes that week, but I don't think that is necessary from other people that I have talked to. Nothing was particularly indepth, because i wanted to hit a few topics without going too long.
Good Luck with the secondary.

do you know when the secondary is due? I have been dragging my feet....

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your input brownman24!

the deadline for the secondary is 11/30 but i know sending it around this time is already late..oh well.

I wrote about the shortage of primary care physicians. How students are increasingly leaning towards specialties and avoiding the much needed family care practices. I guess I did cite a recent study that showed how certain government aid to students that go into primary care has worked in sustaining student interest in primary care. I also spoke a lot about why primary care is so crucial when trying to maintain a healthy socity! hope that helps.

anmol