for students attending VCU/MCV...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eagle26

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this forum is for current medical students, but I just received an acceptance to VCU/MCV. I'm an out of state resident, and I'm trying to make a decision whether to attend the University of Arizona or VCU/MCV.

For those who attend this institution, I was wondering what you considered the pluses? The minuses? Any information about your experiences there would be very useful. Thanks.

Joe

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from MCV last year, but I can give you my opinions. I do not know anything about Univ of Ariz. so this is not a comparison.

Plus:
-Large, diverse class with people from all over and most racial groups.
-Very nice classroom for MS2 year.
-Large hospital with pretty much all residencies represented.
-Very good clinical education.
-Most of the MS1 and MS2 teachers are great.
-Students do very well in the match and on the USMLE.
-Richmond is a fairly nice city with lots of activities for its size. And, the traffic is not bad. Cost of living is low.
-Classes end at noon everyday so afternoons are generally free for study or whatever.
-MS4 year has lots of elective time and lots of time off for interviewing, vacationing, etc..
-Good student health facilities and athletic facilities.

Minus:
-First year classroom kind of sucks.
-Student parking sucks. Not close to hospital, have to pay for it, and ride a shuttle bus or hoof it.
-MS3 year is tough. (probably is everywhere)
-Hospital does not have a very good clinical computer system right now, but should by the time you would get to MS3 year.
-Fairly structured heiarchy system of student, resident, attending. Can be kind of stuffy if you know what I mean.
-So many students that sometimes hospital support staff treats you like crap instead of like a professional.

To be fair some of the minuses are probably similar at all big teaching university hospitals.
If you have any other specific questions feel free to post or email me. All of this said I enjoyed my time and stayed for residency.

Good luck

Thank you very much. The information you gave me is quite helpful!