For studying during MS2: USMLERx or Kaplan QBank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrizzyDrake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So this has been asked in years prior, but maybe things have changed since 2011.

Which do people prefer? Kaplan has a reputation for testing minutiae, where as it seems USMLERx is less utilized. Thoughts? I want to learn the material and do well on Step 1!

Members don't see this ad.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=872209

To which the op said:
"I know this topic has already been covered but the threads are from 2009 and I wanted to see if the trend has changed."

Things have not, and probably will not change -.-
Unless First Aid stops becoming useful, and thus a qbank directed towards using it wouldn't be great.

Obviously not the case.

Edit: Learn how to use USMLERx though, personally I never press "End Block" I create a bunch of tests for each system as--
Tutuor:Untimed:Unused Only
On paper write down my answer (without clicking the answer) and just press the explanation button. Then exit by "suspend"

This allows you to not burn questions, and annoying have to review tests with answers already entered to see that question again.
And when you go back next time, you wont even see any answer clicked to contaminate your judgement (cause you never clicked one to begin with)

wait until 3 months out before getting qbanks.

False.
Start USMLERx during M2
Stay ahead and Finish path and USMLERx by Spring Break.

Congrats, now your 3 months out with a great understanding already of systems and your FA.

Now do Uworld.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

So this has been asked in years prior, but maybe things have changed since 2011.

Which do people prefer? Kaplan has a reputation for testing minutiae, where as it seems USMLERx is less utilized. Thoughts? I want to learn the material and do well on Step 1!

Or Follow the growing trend and do Uworld throughout the year. Look at the recent 2013 posts. Around 10 kids did and quite a few wished they had. It's the best learning tool

I used Kaplan. It does test minutia but guess what- so does MS2 (and even step 1). Never used Rx so I cannot say good or bad, but I did kaplan questions corresponding to each ms2 class and it helped greatly. Obviously, UWorld is the best and most (myself included) recommend saving it for last.