For the AMGs you failed Step 2 CS, what did you do wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonovox

Coexist, or else...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
AMG 4th year here, just took the Step 2 CS. Lotsa stuff is going through my mind, about questions I forgot to ask, findings I forgot to put in my notes, and even some counselling (I forgot to tell a pt. she might have lung cancer!). I was nervous in the beginning, then after lunch especially just plain tired.

Wondering what it really takes to fail this exam, other than not being able to speak the language. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i agree...

i recently took the exam and left unconcerned...

but after reading student doctor and hearing all these stories of AMGs failing...the worrisome medical student is coming out.

the board pass rate is 98% - even 2% of 17K is a significant amount of people.

I also agree- I walked out from taking CS today feeling like I had missed a ton of little things. I always wanted more time, but was able to get through just about everything in the time allotted. My first few PNs I ran out of charachters- super annoying to waste time looking back to try to find words to delete and fit in more info... that was crappy.

My prep time was about 2 evenings of reading the first 2 sections in first aid (through the "minicases"). although my classmates all tell me that's all they needed and that the test is very basic. I'm guessing most people walk out thinking they missed a lot details?

wish we didn't have to wait so long for results! or even take this goofy exam in the first place! I did not find this realistic.

I failed CS, and wrote a long post as to the things I missed. I think what failed me in particular was that I totally botched a suicide/depression statement. I only asked 2 SIGECAP questions.

I think to pass CS, you need to get about 75% of the things on the history/physical exam list that are in First Aid. I looked at FA carefully after my failure, and I found that I got a little bit below 75% of the items that I was supposed to get.

I'm not making the same mistake again. I'm studying for at least 4 weeks solid for the retake. I'm buying USMLE World and USMLE Source for online practice. I'm going to memorize every single component of a super detailed physical exam list, and I'm going to use a bunch of mnemonics to make sure I dont miss a single part of the history.