Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

For the Canadians

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by xylem29, Dec 8, 2005.

1. xylem29

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Or anyone else who is familiar with the Canadian medical schools - does anyone know what it is that the med schools look for in granting interviews? I mean - I know a guy who claimed he had a 3.8+ and scored 97%tile Mcat and he did not get an interview - I'm thinking either he lied about his marks to me or he either had absolutely nothing to put down in his extra/volunterr/research/awards sketch or he wrote really bad essays (or other supplementary applications). He claimed that he checked "yes" for the question that asked "is there any reason why your transcript does not reflect your true ablities" to justify one "C" grade in his 3rd year - was this a good idea? Should we never check "yes" to that question??

2. MeowMix

MeowMix Explaining "Post-Call"
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    they look for superstars. Great athletes, fabulous grades, high MCAT, in-province, francophone, etc.

You should get on the Canadian pre-med site instead of SDN, because they can answer all these questions much more accurately.
    http://p090.ezboard.com/bpremed101

3. ubcredfox

ubcredfox Member
    10+ Year Member

Short answer: no. It seems to me that Canadian schools are much more strict about GPA/MCAT cut-offs and are also extremely finicky in terms of requiring all documentation by certain dates. This all translates into the slightest blemishes being used to rule out an interview.

You need to have a very good GPA, especially for Ontario schools (3.8+ is nice) and a strong MCAT (30+). Your friends case doesn't seem extraordinary.

Your extracurricular have to be deep, and broad i.e. quality over quantity and you need to be able to present what you've done in the best way possible, and often, utilizing very little space. Take for example OMSAS and their pathetic 50 odd character limit to describe extracurriculars.

From my experience thus far, the US system has been far quicker, more efficient (though more expensive) and kinder.

4. Jocks

Jocks Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Ya, I'd say you got fed a line of total BS.
    Queen's and western have automatic interviews for ppl who meet their minimum requirements. That being said, a friend of mine had a 37R and a 3.8 GPA and ended up waitlisted at 2 schools...she eventually got off the list and is at queen's now.

Cheers,
    Jocks

5. autoimmunity

autoimmunity Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

The Canadian schools certainly do place a heavy emphasis upon numbers. Just take a look at some of the websites and you'll see the cutoffs for consideration, JUST consideration, are outrageous. So in my opinion, I would say hit the statistical benchmarks first and foremost. If you can't meet those marks, nothing else you do will even be evaluated. Of course that is not to say that demonstrating your passion in ways that transcend grades is unimportant. You certainly need to show a different dimension of dedication.

The Canadian and American processes are different in so many ways. As a Canadian who attended univ. down in the US, I would have loved to go back to Canada. But the wealth of great schools and opportunities, and a not-so-statistically-oriented evaluation in the American system convinced me to forego applications to the motherland. And things have gone very well as I have already been accepted to a top 20 school here!

As far as the OP's last question, I wouldn't check that box unless there were some marked differences in the trends of your grades. A single 'C' does not justify marking it down. That's just moronic.

6. threemusketeers

5+ Year Member

I'm also a canadian studying at an american undergrad. I plan to apply to both Canadian and American schools next year.

I was wondering if you could share more of your application experience, to both Canaada and the States? i.e. How many schools did you apply to in the states? For canadian med schools, do you get put in the same pile as regular canadians? And also, how will the cost work out for you attending an american school as opposed to a canadian one? Sorry if the last question is a bit personal but that is what i'm most worried about, as I think only a handful of schools offer canadians financial aid.

Thanks a lot.

7. Scottish Chap

Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

I can't speak for McGill, but you'd be surprsied what will get you an interview at other schools if you are an international applicant (it's MUCH harder for Canadians....and in their own country no less!) Toronto is less strict about the MCAT if you have a higher degree (MS or PhD). I received an interview last year. Save your money and forget about McMaster - they won't interview internationals.

8. xylem29

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey thanks for this link - I was just writing about how I wish there was a cdn version of sdn on the international/can thread...

well - I'm not so sure about my chances anymore - I've already applied to Ottawa U for 06 but I just found out they have a priorities list which places ON residents from urban areas who are not bilingual at 2nd last - plus my application is not so extraordinary - as someone said it's quality not quantity and unfortunately, I have more quantity...sigh...well, I'm gonna write the mcat in august and apply to the cdn schools and i guess american ones too. thanks for your help guys.

9. MeowMix

MeowMix Explaining "Post-Call"
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It varies btw schools on whether they classify you as in/out of province, if you are a Canadian living in the US.

If you have dual citizenship, you must apply as a Canadian (ruins the McGill foreigner advantage).

I had a lot of success with med school apps in the US, zero in Canada. Couldn't meet the cutoff for Ottawa U (my home town, but I was classified as out of province there); applied to Mac and got rejected immediately (I didn't realize that most of their accepted students have a GPA of 3.8-4.0 and almost no one has a GPA of 3.5); didn't even want to waste the money applying elsewhere.

If you have Can citizenship only and go to school in the US, you are almost always classified as a foreigner and ineligible for most loans. Some schools give big $$ to talented Canadians (WashU). Be selective and do your homework.