For the engineers/non-bio/chem majors out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laxtiger499

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, do u ever not tell people that you are pre-med for fear of (a) them reacting (reactively, not curiously) (b) and then u have to explain to them the apparent "disconnect" between your major and being a doctor? For me, I'm Elec Engr, and people all the time ask me ..well, are you gonna work with circuits int he hospital? ?? << what IS this???:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, do u ever not tell people that you are pre-med for fear of (a) them reacting (reactively, not curiously) (b) and then u have to explain to them the apparent "disconnect" between your major and being a doctor? For me, I'm Elec Engr, and people all the time ask me ..well, are you gonna work with circuits int he hospital? ?? << what IS this???:eek:

I never tell anyone I'm pre-med, I find it pretty annoying. It seriously seems like sometimes everyone is pre-med.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above. I never tell anyone I'm pre med, the only people who know are my parents and siblings :)

Agree with above. I never tell anyone I'm pre med, the only people who know are my parents and siblings :)

+1. Unless your school specifically offers a pre-med degree, I think it's pretty silly to identify yourself as a "pre-anything" instead of your actual major.

Everyone's a pre-med until they fail Ochem or bomb the MCAT. Whatever comes first.

I majored in ECE as well and I have had mostly positive experiences when discussing the "why medicine" question. I even used it in my personal statement and I guess it went over pretty well since I got acceptances. The important part is having a good (and honest) reason for going into medicine and being able to explain why you think an engineering background will help you succeed.

I never tell anyone I'm pre-med, I find it pretty annoying. It seriously seems like sometimes everyone is pre-med.

I KNOW THE FEELING. I try not to divulge because when I do every pre-med in the room can sense it and they are automatically trying to get an angle on you. Too bad most of them do not know about SDN. I feel completely prepared for the app process because of this place.

Yes...I prefer to not say anything, or just say "I'm a chem major". If they press, then I'm "studying for the MCAT".

For me, it's the pressure to then have to make it and do well...I have enough of that by myself, but then knowing that people will be asking me about it...I have a few things against me already, I feel (nontrad, older, post-bac, and my alma matter isn't a well known or glamorous school).

Yes...I prefer to not say anything, or just say "I'm a chem major". If they press, then I'm "studying for the MCAT".

For me, it's the pressure to then have to make it and do well...I have enough of that by myself, but then knowing that people will be asking me about it...I have a few things against me already, I feel (nontrad, older, post-bac, and my alma matter isn't a well known or glamorous school).

This. People ask, "Why are you in engineering then?" Its aggravating sometimes because I enjoy alot of the classes.

I laugh every time I hear someone ask "What's your major?" and I hear someone arrogantly boast "I'm a pre-med". Ah, brings tears to my eyes.

I just tell people I'm majoring in Medicine :rolleyes:

I don't tell anyone I'm a premed....because then all the gunners would be after me!!

I laugh every time I hear someone ask "What's your major?" and I hear someone arrogantly boast "I'm a pre-med". Ah, brings tears to my eyes.

I was looking up a major's curriculum one day for the uni I'm going to and a student I knew happens to come up and after some chit-chat I asked him what he decided on majoring in, he blurts out 'pre-med' and then I repeat 'What are you majoring in?!'. After he was slightly confused and even said 'cardiology' at one point, he came to his senses and said 'oh biology'. :)