for the experts: what did YOU ask at MD/PhD interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've seen a couple of threads about what to say when an interviewer asks, "Do you have any questions for me?" in the pre-allo forum, but i was wondering what types of MD/PhD-specific questions that you guys have asked (or wish you had asked) at your interviews. any suggestions help.

as always, thanks.
SD

Members don't see this ad.

I always asked hard questions that asked for facts. Such as:
"What is the average graduation time in the program?"
"How many students have left the program recently and why?"
"Does the program provide funding for people to attend conferences even if they're not presenting?"
etc...

The problem with this is that the people interviewing you don't really like to hear difficult questions or often don't even have the answers. What they really want to hear, and arguably what you might want to ask are fluff questions like:
"What brought you to this school?"
"How do you like it here?"
"What do you think the best and worst about the program/school is?"

I leave the decision to you.

I like to ask them what their mission is for the program and the students. All programs have some idea of what they want the majority of their students to do with the combined degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would encourage many/most of you to consider asking the following questions:

1) If my PI leaves your institution 1-2 years after I started my dissertation, would I be able to move with him/her and continue to get stipend from my home institution? Would I be able to continue the SAME project under another PI?

2) What mechanism is there to monitor students' progress in the PhD phase? What if I were going nowhere in the PhD trianing? Is there someone to help me switch labs/projects EARLY without losing too much time (given there are 2 more years of med school to finish)?

3) What transition help/program is there when I am done with my PhD and will be rejoining the medical school class?

4) Is there the choice of starting PhD training after first year of med school?

5) What clinical rotations are absolutely essential in the 3rd and 4th year? Any rotation that I can be excused from if I want to do research for life?

Reactions: 1 user
absolutely killer stuff so far, guys!

still, only three replies? i know there are a lot more people on here who have interviewed/matriculated in MD/PhD programs. i beseech you, keep it coming!!!

I asked about the availability of affordable and safe housing.
I also asked what made the program unique and some of the benefits and drawbacks of being in the program. For current students I make sure to ask why they were attracted to the school and if they felt comfortable with their medical school counterparts and with their fellow MD/PhD students. I also like to observe the interaction between the students. If they don't like each other, then I certainly don't want to be there.

This isn't a question, but a tip.
My MSTP interviewer was extremely amazed that I could come up with a few professors who I may potentially want to do research with. There was no form of commitment to that. But the fact I took the initiative really showed I was interested in the school.

Sonya

I like what I've seen posted above.

#1 - The question that allows the interviewer to talk about themselves is always a winner. "So tell me about what brought you here." "What do you like about (institution)?" Type-A people LOVE to talk about themselves and really eat this stuff up. Also works when going for subjective grades in 3rd year med school and residency interviewing.

#2 - Questions are overrated. After all, you only need one or two well-placed questions (winking and pointing to #1)