for the first time ever: a doctor who is not cheap!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manou

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I need some advice here: I have found a doctor to shadow. Yesterday was the first time, and for lunch, he took me to this restaurant, and he asked me what I wanted. I thought each one of us was paying for our own lunch, but he took his wallet out and paid without even acknolwedeging anything. How refreshing, a doctor who isn't cheap.
I told him let me pay you back and he said don't worry about it, it's not a big deal. So I let it go.
So here is the thing: The next time I am shadowing, and let's say he takes me to the restaurant again, do I offer to pay for both of us? I prefer not to do this because I really can't afford it.
Do I say I brought my own lunch, I won't be eating with you? I am afraid he will get offended.
Do I let him pay again? I dont want to do this because I don't want to appear like a cheap bastard.
Do I purposely go after lunch time so I won't have this problem? (Oh, I ate at home, thanks...)

Or maybe this was a one time thing that he does, and hopefully he won't take me again?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would offer to pay, guess that he'll turn me down, expect to pay for my own, and be pleasantly surprised if he pays again. (Say thanks.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, so different from the last doctor I shadowed. I showed up at 8:45 AM, and we worked until 5 PM. No breaks. No lunch. His response? "Residency makes you a man. I don't need to eat very often."

(I still think he was just trying to lose weight by working through lunch...)

Always offer to pay. This doctor isn't just letting you shadow. He's feeding you! While it is true that most of us are in the "poor college student" class, at least OFFER to pay at some point. You go down a few bucks, no biggie. It makes a better impression, especially considering they're doing you a favor, not the other way around.

Always offer to pay. This doctor isn't just letting you shadow. He's feeding you! While it is true that most of us are in the "poor college student" class, at least OFFER to pay at some point. You go down a few bucks, no biggie. It makes a better impression, especially considering they're doing you a favor, not the other way around.

^THIS!!!

The reputation you have and the opportunities this physician could help you gain (or completely destroy your chances of obtaining) is FAAAAAR more valuable than any amount of money you could spend on a few lunches out with him.

I never knew that doctors were notorious for being cheap...I sure as hell wouldn't be with such a good salary, especially with small things like paying for lunches.

OP- you don't have to offer to pay for you both just make sure you offer for you. If you go after lunch you risk going out for dinner so it doesn't really matter- if he offers to take you out again you can respectfully decline or go and just offer to pay for yourself. In medical school we have had faculty is small groups by us drinks at the cafeteria during group sessions or after clinicals- not that big of a deal if the faculty member/physician makes a ton of money.

I have a doctor who did this too- at a pretty expensive place. Yes I offered to pay. Then we met another time right before I left for medical school to discuss research opportunities for between MSI/MSII- we did a basic place but she still wouldn't let me pay- her response was just be sure to help out a pre-med when I am a physician. This physician is sorta like my big sib though- I should be researching with her this summer and if my parents move across the county then I would most likely end up living with her for the summer- of course I would pay utilities, food, etc- and she offered this to me months ago when I said I couldn't commit on research til I knew my parents situation.

Good luck

I don't really think of doctors as being cheap, so this doesn't really surprise me

My dad also almost never eats lunch. Only on the weekends.

I think he just is too busy during the day, and likes to play racquetball during lunch. I wonder if a lot of docs skip meals regularly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like the fruitcake lady when someone asks her how many gingerbread men they can stuff in their mouths.

I don't think its worth spending your brain power to worry about. Just be polite and enjoy it. Offer to pay and if not don't give it another thought.

reference this video (1:06)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-1ehDZv6JQ

Last edited:
That's so nice of him! That would put me in a good mood all day. :)

I never shadowed a physician during my premed years but I called up plenty of them. None of them agreed to let me shadow them.

I never shadowed a physician during my premed years but I called up plenty of them. None of them agreed to let me shadow them.

It was so hard for me to find a physician to shadow too! I ended up doing an intense clinical research driven internship (which was AMAZING btw).
I am now shadowing a doctor and when he heard about my troubles he was just so surprised. Now he is never getting rid of me! HA!

Seems like normal behavior.

Happened to me by 3 separate shadows, and each time I had wallet in hand. I figure the physician's thought here is pretty clear:

"Cool, this guy wants to be a MD. Following in my footsteps, tough road ahead of him... he works for minimum wage inbetween studying. I make more in an hour than he makes in a week, pretty sure I can cover his $2 sandwich"

Yea, any person with a high salary- doctor, lawyer- I have worked with offers to pay lunch or dinner since they know you're a student or get paid like crap. This doctor i knew who i did research with would say lets discuss so and so over lunch and always pay and believe me i tried to pay my share. i realized its normal because she pays for Medical assistants too and other workers. A few other doctors do the same and offer to pay the bill. For some people its a cultural thing, and others its a courtesy like Lacipart said. In the end for the doctor that always took me to lunch, i treated her once to lunch and bought them a gift to return the "debt"

Seems like normal behavior.

Happened to me by 3 separate shadows, and each time I had wallet in hand. I figure the physician's thought here is pretty clear:

"Cool, this guy wants to be a MD. Following in my footsteps, tough road ahead of him... he works for minimum wage inbetween studying. I make more in an hour than he makes in a week, pretty sure I can cover his $2 sandwich"
:thumbup:

No idea, but my doctor took me to lunch too... and it wasnt cheap either.

i think the real question is, are you a female? (im not trying to be sexist, just wondering). :D

Yeah seems to be quite commonplace, I shadowed a GI once and he kept me through lunchtime so at the end of the day he gave me $25 to get something to eat with. Of course, I turned it down at least once before taking it.