bulldoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Is life better on the other side?

I'm almost halfway into my internship, and although I'm enjoying it, I'm looking forward to the days when I don't have to deal with blood pressures, pain seekers, and social admits.

How are you all enjoying your PGY-2 year? Do I have something to look forward to? :)

Let's hear some stories...

EyeMD116

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am also curious to hear about the transition from intern year to residency. Any ophtho residents want to chyme in? I hear the learning curve is pretty steep, at least in the beginning.

FutureOph123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
PGY2 is definitely a lot better than intern year. You are finally working in a direct route to what you want to do. The subject matter is awesome, and the surgery is a blast. When you study, it feels so much more useful. However, the end of intern year does not mean the end of scut. There will still be boring refractions, CONSULTS:eek:, and plenty of things you do not like to do... you will soon realize that only ophthalmologists can actually take a visual acuity. I think the transition is tough, but it is amazing how fast you learn. I learned more in 1 week of residency than I did in 2 months of ophthalmology in medical school. It does not take long until you become fairly comfortable. Ophthalmology is an awesome field!

About the Ads

discontinuebed

10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
There will still be boring refractions, CONSULTS:eek:, and plenty of things you do not like to do... you will soon realize that only ophthalmologists can actually take a visual acuity. I think the transition is tough, but it is amazing how fast you learn. I learned more in 1 week of residency than I did in 2 months of ophthalmology in medical school. It does not take long until you become fairly comfortable. Ophthalmology is an awesome field!

Sounds like a big but exciting transition from intern -> PGY2

ecranda

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status (Visible)
Please tell me more. I am on the unit this month and feel in the dumps! I am definately getting the intern blues. I need to know there is light at the end of this very dark tunnel! I keep counting down the days, but I just keep on getting so frustrated. I feel like no one gets it, that serum osmol gaps/ CVPs/ MAPs/ and Fio2 are not exciting, actually I could care less! I just feel like I am never gonna enjoy my life again. It has been one year after another of stuff I HAVE to do, nothing I WANT to do. I really need a pick me up.... please help! Please tell me how next year will finally be when I feel like I am doing what I want to. That I am feeling like I am filling my goals not just traveling to them.

JMK2005

15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
you still have 8 months of internship, so definitely make the best of it. I enjoyed internship quite a bit. helped me to transform into a doctor -- making decision, deciding what test to order, making diagnosis, gaining confidence in your abilities and helping patients in the process.

Ophthalmology is the same, except in a different setting and different subject. I felt like I helped a lot of people during internship. Ultimately, that's what most of us said in our medical school personal statements.

Even though patients may not say it all the time, they do appreciate your work. But they can also sense that you don't care about them, and just want to get out of the hospital as soon as you can and push the work to other people.

So do your best and try to enjoy it too.

azzarah

sleepy!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hang in there!
PGY2 is sooooo much better! :D Ophtho is so cool and *clean.* :love:
G-d I hated internship!!!!!

:luck:

azzarah

sleepy!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
By the way, the other thing I love about ophtho is that patients really care and appreciate what you do. The other night I was called to do a trauma consult. The patient was intoxicated and refusing a chest tube placement for bilateral pneumothoraces and being really rude to the poor intern and telling him to get the ef out of his room. Then I walk in and say, Hi Mr. so and so, I'm the EYE doctor. I'm here to check out your eyes. The guy turns totally nice and polite and is like...omg doc. thank G-d you're here, how's my EYE? (never mind his LIFE is in danger....) :):):)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.