SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

for the international student

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by kc006h, Mar 15, 2001.

  1. kc006h

    kc006h New Member

    Mar 14, 2001
    Currently i am an international stuendent (F-1 visa) who is attending a college in U.S.
    and i am planing to go to dental school after graduate.
    Most med school is only opened to US citizens or green card holders.
    Does Dental school require citizenship or green card like med school?,what I heard is
    even if they take applications, there are a little chance of getting into the school.

    Do people like me have any chance to get into dental school?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ejay

    ejay Junior Member 10+ Year Member

    Feb 13, 2001
    I can say that you have a lot of chances to enter dental schools in the state as an international student.
    Unitil now,I have admissions from 3 schools (and 1 waiting list).
    Most of private schools accept IS.
    Just try it! Good luck.

  4. gower

    gower 1K Member 10+ Year Member

    Oct 14, 2000
    New York
    The problem with F-1, as opposed to citizenship or green card, is financial aid. Usually, there is none; you and your family have to pay out of your own pockets. Private dental school tuition is very high and you would have low priority, if that word can even be used, for admission to public dental schools, where you would have to pay a non-resident tuition anyway.

    If the cost is not beyond your means, apply, especially if you have a good academic record, acceptable DATs and can interview well enough.

    If you have in mind remaining in the US to practice, you had better check on the rules for licensure as a non-citizen or permanent resident. The ADEA may have information about that. I don't have their web-saite address handy, but try
  5. gower

    gower 1K Member 10+ Year Member

    Oct 14, 2000
    New York
    It occurred to me after I had posted the previous reply to your question that if you intend to return to your own country, you oguht to inquire about the rules for licensing of foreign educated dentists. You could probably get that information now from from a consulate of your country in the US.

Share This Page