For the ladies - interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alwaysbehopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how much make up is okay to an interview? I know I shouldn't have like a night on the town make up on but I'm not sure how much make up is okay?

Can I not wear make up? I want to look attractive and yet professional.

Thanks ladies!

- please guys no stupid comments..I know some are itching to put something dumb :slap:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't wear much makeup to begin with, but for interviews I just wear foundation, powder, eyeliner, and mascara. I try to look natural, but together.

I only ever wear mascara and eyeliner, and I don't plan on doing much more than that for interviews. If I were you, I'd keep things as natural as possible. Maybe some concealer and powder, mascara, and a brown shade of eyeliner. You want to look nice (not like you just got out of bed) so I wouldn't advise wearing no makeup unless you normally don't, but you should definitely be minimal. For the lips, I think a lip balm is fine, tinted if you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
I stopped wearing make-up after my first interview...and none of my interviewers really cared. I still looked neat and professional. Make-up makes my face feel very uncomfortable, and I would rather be comfortable during interviewers. If you want to wear minimal make-up, I think foundation, lip gloss, and mascara would do. Good luck on your interview(s)!

what do you usually wear? or, if you don't usually wear makeup, what do you usually wear when you go to mother's/father's day brunch? that's appropriate for any professional setting (most people don't look like they're going on a date when they're with their mom for mom's day). Clean, Natural, Pretty.

i mean i'm just going to wear the same makeup i wear everyday. i'm going to make sure my neutral eyeshadow doesn't strike out with my top, however.

For me, I wear light foundation, concealer, mascara, chapstick. You don't want your makeup being distracting, and eyeliner looks unprofessional (on me, depends on the person though)

All in all, I doubt anyone is going to reject you on that account unless you reach for the trowel in the morning.

Thanks girls!!!

Wonderful advice. My complexion is really good so I think I'm going to wear

Brown eyeliner (as suggested above)
Eyebrow liner (I'm Asian and don't have much hair)
Mascara (water proof in case I get nervous and sweat too much lol)
A base for eye shadow (light brown, blends in well)
Light brown lipstick

Blush is probably too much as with any colored eye shadow.

Sigh...I feel like I'm stressed out for nothing most of the time.

Thanks girls!!!

Light brown lipstick

Look into "Bare Naturals" by L'oreal. I don't like to wear makeup--normally I don't--but bare naturals are light, powdery, and don't look "overdone." You can go with the natural look while still spiffing up a little. :)

Whatever you decide on, go with confidence!

Thanks girls!!!

Light brown lipstick

hey, i usually wear a lot of makeup,esp eye, so i was wondering how much to tone it down or wear before my interviews. what you have listed here looks good. instead of a light brown lipstick, id personally do a light pink lipstick, with a teeny bit of gloss over it. and apply chapstick before, because your lips flaking during interviews is the worst thing ever. and dont go too harsh on the eyebrow liner---id even do an eyeshadow and just fill in, bc a liner might be a bit harsh.
just my opinion! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!! and be confident with whatever you do! :)

Thanks girls!!!

Light brown lipstick

Sounds good! Somebody already said it, but make sure to put on chapstick before the lipstick. Lipstick always dries out my lips if I don't put on chapstick first.

Also, two things to mention:
1) Make sure your makeup looks good with your interview outfit. This may sound silly, but sometimes certain colors work better with your suit than others.
2) Make sure your hair is styled and tidy too. I think sometimes hair can be more important than makeup because it contributes to your entire look and degree of professionalism.

I wore my usual makeup, which is very minimal and light - powder mineral foundation under my eyes and to even out any discolorations, eyebrow powder, mascara, light blush, lip balm. No eyeliner or full face of foundation. I have never liked wearing heavy makeup because it makes me feel uncomfortable. Just wear whatever will make you feel the most comfortable and confident. On your interviews, you will see the entire spectrum - from girls wearing caked on foundation + powder and heavy eye makeup, to girls with absolutely no makeup.

Honestly I was really hesitant to start this thread because of the criticism that SDN tends to dish out but you guys have been so helpful!

So new tip I will include:

- Chapstick (makes sense since you talk a lot)

About harsh eyeliner I found that applying your eyeliner first and then using a Q-tip and eye make up remove to take some away until it is barely noticeable works pretty well. I might go out and buy a brown/gray eyeliner anyways.

Thanks for bringing up hair. I have long hair past my shoulders, should I tied it back? Or straighten it (it looks prettier this way).

I agree that comfort is key!

if you feel like you need foundation use it (stress makes my skin look blotchy so if my interview is around test time...i used foundation), I didn't use it for several and I don't think it mattered. Only thing I used consistently is some mascara and blush :)
Thanks for bringing up hair. I have long hair past my shoulders, should I tied it back? Or straighten it (it looks prettier this way).
I don't like to wear my hair in a ponytail so instead I used bobby pins to hold my hair behind my ears.

Members don't see this ad :)
I straighten my hair becuase it looks more professional and is easier to control haha.
As for makeup, I put moisturizer, powder, natural blush, some eyeliner along bottom eyelid, black mascara, and chapstick!:D

I straighten my hair becuase it looks more professional and is easier to control haha.
As for makeup, I put moisturizer, powder, natural blush, some eyeliner along bottom eyelid, black mascara, and chapstick!:D

I second the straight hair -- mine naturally falls in loose waves and looks like I'm going to the beach. Straight hair, on me at least, is sleeker, more professional-looking, and I don't have to worry about what it's doing during the day.

I love BareEscentuals for makeup -- for those of you who feel uncomfortable with a face full of make-up, this brand is super light and doesn't irritate. I use the powder foundation (just a little!) and blush, earth-tone eye makeup, eyeliner, mascara, a little sheer pink lip gloss, and I'm good to go! I've been wearing this look to work/school for ages. It's just like an enhanced version of yourself, but not overdone and you don't look like "an alien," which is how my brother tends to view girls with makeup. haha he's a little jokester.

Really great advice in this thread!

my hair is the beach type too...if i don't straighten or curl it, it appears as if i'm going for the tousled-look...i'm going to straighten.

as for eye liner, i found a really good way to make it look softer, faster.

buy the shade liner (dark brown or black works well for me...shows up about a shade lighter with this method) in the covergirl single eyeshadow compacts...they come with an applicator.

use the pointy end applicator and put a little on the tip, then apply as you would liner. it's really soft and looks smudged already, and i've found it stays on all day.

as for foundation, i use dream matte mouse, maybeline. it is incredible.

Great stuff!

I am definitely going to check out the Bare Essentials Line. Can I get that at Target or is it more like a Nordstrom's kind of thing.

Hair - If you have long hair do you plan to wear it down, tied back, pony tail?

my hair is long. i don't plan on wearing it up. it's going to be sleek, though. not going to be in my face...i'll keep it behind my shoulders.

Great stuff!

I am definitely going to check out the Bare Essentials Line. Can I get that at Target or is it more like a Nordstrom's kind of thing.

bare essentials is available at ulta or sephora, usually any make-up/beauty store. it's a little bit pricey, but it is definitely worth it. i use their powder and eye shadows. it's really light and fine so it gives you a really good "finished" look.

i wear makeup - so for me - i will be wearing my normal amount of make up. but as it has been said before: make sure what you wear is something you're comfortable with. and if you go buy new makeup - make sure you try it out for a couple of days prior - so you get comfortable with the application and how it feels! :)

I have pretty long (past the shoulders) hair, and I just smoothed it down with hairspray so it would behave. Nothing fancy. I'm not so great with hair and didn't want it to be completely obvious on interview day. Good luck!

I kept my hair and make up simple and natural for my interview. a little blush and tinted lip butter and that's it. I used under-eye concealer so I would look fresher, but definitely no eyeliner or eyeshadow --that's just too much. I would have worn a little mascara, but since I was wearing my glasses I didn't want to deal with my lashes leaving any mascara residue on my glasses lenses. Physicians don't often have time to put on much make up in the mornings, so if you want to look like a future physician, don't bother with it.

Physicians don't often have time to put on much make up in the mornings, so if you want to look like a future physician, don't bother with it.

on a normal day, they probably don't have time for it. your interview is not a normal day. wear what you look good in.

on a normal day, they probably don't have time for it. your interview is not a normal day. wear what you look good in.
I agree with this whole-heartedly.

OP, your goal is to look polished and professional. You don't need to go to town on the makeup, but I would wear some. I say this as someone who never wears makeup except when I'm on interviews. :p

Ok, so what to wear? I used minimal eyeliner, a light coat of mascara, powder, and a little bit of lipstick with lipgloss. No eye shadow, no foundation. You can use a little blush and/or concealer if you think you need it, but don't wear so much blush that you looking like you're about to go on stage.

For hair, I think if you have shoulder-length hair, it's probably fine to wear it down, but if you have longer hair, it looks more professional to put it back. I have long hair that tends to get frizzy, especially in humid weather. What I did was put it back neatly and use a little hairspray to control the frizzy parts. I like the idea of straightening it also if you can do that under time pressure. But even if you do straighten it, I would still put it up if it's longer than shoulder-length.

Best of luck with your interviews. :)

I personally wear at least eyeliner, mascara, and powder every day so adding eyeshadow to the mix on interview day wasn't that much of a stretch for me. I'd say wear what you'd be comfortable in either way. I feel that interview day is about putting your best foot forward and presenting yourself confidently and gracefully. If feeling pretty (assuming makeup makes you feel prettier and not just overwhelmed), helps you then go for it. I wore a full face to all my interviews and no one commented on it as either good or bad but it made feel better to know I looked good.

If you don't wear a lot of makeup and don't possess the skills to apply it well then DON'T DO IT. Bad makeup ( no matter how much you use) is much more distracting than well applied makeup. And as a general rule, wear a daytime look that would work if you were going to church, brunch with your friends etc.

good luck on your interviews! :)

Great stuff!

I'm not sure about target -- it's possible. You can definitely get it at Sephora though -- that's where I buy mine.

I actually think sephora.com has some good sales going on now for makeup since it is around Christmas time...
I think for longer hair pulling it back would be good, or just making sure it is out of your face
I'm glad this thread was posted, as I haven't really thought about what was appropriate for face or hair in school interviews...the only interviews I have done are job interviews, and it seems like maybe the rules are the same for the two.

bare essentials is at ulta and sephora, and sometimes they have stand alone stores too.
and when i was talking about the liner being harsh, i was talking about your BROW liner. id def do powder instead of that. maybe you already knew what i was talking about, in which case, dont listen to me. lol.

and straighten the hair. but remember to put heat protectant spray in it beforehand. i like V05s Miracle Mist. and maybe a very light spraying of hair spray to keep the frizzies away.

IFor my interviews, I wear the same amount of makeup I usually do, but I do it with colors/ in a way that looks more natural even though I am still wearing my same amount as always (we are talking the works here haha).
I didn't feel uncomfortable, and I don't think I looked unprofessional by any means.
For any of you ladies that are not accustomed to wearing makeup and are nervous, go to sephora, mac, merle norman, or department stores in the mall. The girls there are SO helpful. They will show you techniques for any kind of makeup you want to try out. You can ask questions and even tell them, hey I'm going to interview for med school an want to look professional/polished/ or whatever (and you are not required to buy anything). It is also nice to see how the make-up looks before you spend money on it (a la Traget, walmart, etc).
All in all do what makes you feel like a confident, amazing woman going in to that interview! Best of luck!

Last edited:
So how much make up is okay to an interview? I know I shouldn't have like a night on the town make up on but I'm not sure how much make up is okay?

Can I not wear make up? I want to look attractive and yet professional.

Thanks ladies!

- please guys no stupid comments..I know some are itching to put something dumb :slap:

I'd go with whatever you're comfortable wearing on a normal day. Some women are amazing at applying (and maintaining) foundation, eye shadow, and lipstick, without ever looking "made up." I never tried. I normally only wear mascara because my lashes are so light in color, but long. I don't think I'd wear more than that (and maybe very neutral eyeliner) to an interview, because I'd be constantly checking to make sure nothing ended up where it shouldn't be!

I think you should focus on making sure you have a professional and chic suit. I have a beautiful Ann Taylor suit that doesn't fit right because I gained a few pounds this semester (21 credits and research and work does NOT leave time for running). So I went shopping, and flogged myself as I looked at myself in the mirror at Macy's...awful dressing room lighting. I found an inexpensive suit at NY & Company, and it's really flattering! I actually felt good about how I looked in it, even after gaining ten pounds and not sleeping during finals week :)

So I went to Sephora yesterday, the Bare Mineral's Brown Eyeliner was too dark I thought but I ended up getting another brown eyeliner.

Another issue: I just learned that airlines won't let you carry liquids? What are you guys doing about shampoo and stuff. The stuff they give you hotels make my hair look like crap.

So I went to Sephora yesterday, the Bare Mineral's Brown Eyeliner was too dark I thought but I ended up getting another brown eyeliner.

Another issue: I just learned that airlines won't let you carry liquids? What are you guys doing about shampoo and stuff. The stuff they give you hotels make my hair look like crap.
They let you carry liquids in containers under 3 (or 4) ounces....get trial sizes or those travel bottles.