FOR THE MINORITIES

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NIYO2K2, Apr 15, 2002.

1. NIYO2K2

NIYO2K2 Member

I want feedback on your experience during admissions, What medical school you applied and got in? I would also like some tips on increasing ones chance of admission. Thanks for your reply

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats

If you already got into UCSF and Umich why are you asking for advice on how to get in?

4. MandM06

MandM06 Mr. 25/8

Fellow [Any Field]
    Overall, I can say that my experience as a minority applicant was not all to different from everyone else (besides being the only person of my ethnicity at some interviews). I applied to all the MD schools in Texas and received interviews at 5(San Ant, UTMB, Southwestern, UT-Houston, and Texas A&M). I only interviewed at 4 (I dropped my Texas A&M interview). I have accepted a position at Southwestern (best in Texas :D ...IMHO). Most schools tried to show me that they possessed a diverse student body so that I would not have trouble assimilating. Personally, that was not as important to me since I didn't want to segregate myself in medical school. During my interviews, I tried to stay away from the broad platform that more minorities are needed in medicine. Instead, I concentrated on HOW I would help minorities have better access to medical care. Any other advice about the admissions process can be found on this website or other pre-med websites. I hope this helps. If there is anything specific you want to know just reply.

5. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Scooby Doo:
    <strong>If you already got into UCSF and Umich why are you asking for advice on how to get in?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That IS a little curious, my dear Scooberson. As of four days ago, this "guy" was a Michigan State Junior and all of a sudden he's into a pair of tremendous schools. What a strange trip this has been. --Trek

6. NIYO2K2

NIYO2K2 Member

I have not yet taken the MCAT. I will take it next year. So I've not been accepted to UCSF or U of Michigan.