For the people here that used unecom for their pre reqs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Im going to put "medical bio 2" as planned. Im guessing this is essentially the same thing as general bio 2? Anyone care to comment on how the science classes were for the online unecom post bacc?

Members don't see this ad.

I've done four of them and loved them.

There are numerous misconceptions and notions about online science courses but I really don't think they are much different than attending courses at a brick and mortar college. I argue that most material in medical school is presented in the form of powerpoints and self-directed learning and that taking Bio I or Gen Chem II via online distance course is no different.

However, I urge you to consider what type of learner you are. If you need a lecture to learn, these won't work for you. If you are the type that can pick up a book and make yourself learn, then you should succeed.

Also, and this is key, please contact any medical school you are interested in and ask them if these courses will satisfy the requirements. Only a few I have spoken with say they will not take them, maybe two or three schools.

I've done four of them and loved them.

There are numerous misconceptions and notions about online science courses but I really don't think they are much different than attending courses at a brick and mortar college. I argue that most material in medical school is presented in the form of powerpoints and self-directed learning and that taking Bio I or Gen Chem II via online distance course is no different.

However, I urge you to consider what type of learner you are. If you need a lecture to learn, these won't work for you. If you are the type that can pick up a book and make yourself learn, then you should succeed.

Also, and this is key, please contact any medical school you are interested in and ask them if these courses will satisfy the requirements. Only a few I have spoken with say they will not take them, maybe two or three schools.

were they DO schools that said they wouldnt take them? which ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
Their homepage says you can start class whenever you want? Is that true? You can start say in October rather than waiting until January?

Their homepage says you can start class whenever you want? Is that true? You can start say in October rather than waiting until January?

no idea. at least vcom and nycom arent on my school list so i dont have to worry about those

Start whenever you want. Please be advised though that these courses take time and effort so you're definitely going to have to make time. And remember that learning the information in these courses are imperative to doing well on the MCAT.

Start whenever you want. Please be advised though that these courses take time and effort so you're definitely going to have to make time. And remember that learning the information in these courses are imperative to doing well on the MCAT.

I was asking about biochem, not the bio classes the OP is talking about. I've already taken my MCAT :)

Hopefully the biochem I took in undergrad will count towards biochem credit for schools like DMU.

I was asking about biochem, not the bio classes the OP is talking about. I've already taken my MCAT :)

Hopefully the biochem I took in undergrad will count towards biochem credit for schools like DMU.

I'm sorry MedPR, my fault. Their Biochemistry course is pretty good. I liked it a lot and would recommend it.

yeah im taking my mcat before i do the bio course, not super worried about it.

what are the labs like?

not super worried about the bio course i mean, the mcat will be intense ;p

Thats a good idea, knocking out that biochem for DMU, medpr.

Labs are either done in your home via Labpaqs or virtual labs.

On a personal note, I prefer these types of labs. I think most labs held in the traditional sense are truly a waste. But to each their own and I respect those who find value in them.