Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

For The Social Psych People....A Video, A Virtuoso, and A Violin

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by Therapist4Chnge, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    Pearls Before Breakfast: Can one of the nation's great musicians cut through the fog of a D.C. rush hour?

[​IMG]

Very interesting read. As a hack violinist I can only begin to describe how hard it is to do some of what he did.....that guy is truly amazing....I mean, WOW.

-t

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ollie123

Psychology Student
    VERY interesting.

I think its a combination of multiple factors at work here. Namely context and the fact that (and this is very sad to an orchestra dork like me) classical musicians get relatively little respect these days. That and the fact that I'd say that probably 99/100 people you pass on the street would probably not REALLY know who he was and what he has done even if he had a giant neon sign that said "Joshua Bell" next to him.

I've met Josh a few times, and he is one of the most genuinely nice people I have ever come into contact with. Never seen him turn down a request for an autograph, VERY appreciative of his fans. And he truly seems genuine about it - quite a rare quality for a celebrity.

4. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    Oh...and a 1713 Strat......[​IMG]

Only $3.5mil for it!

-t

5. paramour

Interesting article--Thanks for posting! :)

And "hack violinist"? :laugh: I love it--one of my aunts apparently 'played' violin when she was much younger . . . everyone was greatly appreciative when she finally put it down because she was probably well-below "hack". 'Tis one of those instruments that's not so simple to pick up, play, and produce beautific music, as some seem to think they can do.