For the Stanford peeps--ortho research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of Dr. Carragee, associate professor and researcher of orthopedic surgery at stanford? What's his status up there, what kinda' guy is he? I am planning on doing some research with him this summer, and just seeing what to expect out of the dude. Also, they are not funding me, so how much can I find a place to crash there for COUPLE months--and obviously i won't have a car, nor do I know anyone upthere yet. Do you guys know of whom I may be able to contact from stanford to ask for some funds, other than the the mentor himself--cuz he clearly said that since I'm from another school, I would not be funded, but all I want is a place to crash, paid by them. They won't put me up in a room at the dorms? Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone's gotta know---

they will not put you in a room at the dorms for free. i'm going to be doing research a harvard this summer. i'm coming from a different school. i will be receiving funding for work but even still i'll have to fork over a grand a month to stay in the dorm.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it pretty common for ppl to work at another school without funding? i'm just curious..what actually makes this worth it?

the invaluable connection and the potential publication from a well respected institute

have you found a place to crash yet HiddenTruth? i was thinking about doing some research at the med school back where my hometown is but i still havent been able to locate any funding for that yet. the school isn't as prestiguos as Stanford but how do you keep yourself motivated..when you know that you could have been getting paid working at something else. plus getting published isnt really a sure thing either.

how much you think you gonna be spending while you're there. it isnt cheap living in california i suppose