For The Stud Military Pilots Out There

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by jetproppilot, May 31, 2008.

1. jetproppilot

jetproppilot Turboprop Driver

Speaking of lifelong dreams....

I'm an anesthesiologist and a civilian pilot...SEL, MEL, instruments, turboprop time, etc etc

Dad flew 747s for TWA.

I remember being recruited in college because of good grades...wouldda forgone this whole medicine thing for the military (for better or worse) if I couldda flown....

I remember taking some exam, then a physical...which revealed my not-so-perfect eyesight.

Recruiter says "YOU CAN BE A RIO!!"

No thanks. (actually in retrospect, maybe that was a mistake).

Now eleven years into private practice. Great career.

Have had the privelege of flying PAY-1 and BE-200.

Obviously I've never ridden in an F-16 or the like.

But I'd love to just ride in one!

Periodically you read about celebrities, politicians, newscasters etc riding in a fighter.

Any chance an flying-MD-shmoe (me) could catch thirty minutes in the back of a fighter?

If theres any way to petition for the opportunity, how is it done?

Yeah, sounds kinda stupid.

But it would absolutely be a priceless opportunity for me.

Thanks in advance for any direction you can offer.

#1 jetproppilot, May 31, 2008
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Heeed!

Heeed! On target, On time!

There's no shortage of guys wanting to get a ride in the back seat, as you might imagine. I was sorta the Distinguished Visitor Liaison in my squadron. I would help with coordinating the flight and be in the 2-ship when the DV flew. I flew with Scott Gomez (NJ Devils at the time) when he brought the Stanley Cup to Anchorage, State Senator Murkowski got a ride, etc. The theme: famous and powerful. Once a month, we would take up an outstanding crew chief to give him some more motivation.

I think your best bet would be to be in the OR with a squadron commander or someone important to that person. Doing your thing in the OR goes a long way when someone's life is at stake. I'm guessing you don't have a lot of Group Commanders lining up for surgery though.

Do you want a ride bad enough to shell out a bunch of $$$? Years ago I searched online for those Russian companies that will give you a ride in a MiG. I actually saw a segment on some news show about a guy who did it and I looked it up. If I remember correctly, for around $15,000-$25,000 you'd get a week trip to Russia with the works: nice hotel, food, ejection seat training, and a couple of flights. You could ride in a MiG-29 and do some acro/dogfighting type stuff, or ride in a MiG-25 and fly up into the bozosphere (~75,000+ feet). Trust me when I say it would be worth every penny. No matter which one you chose, it absolutely be the most memorable 1.5 you ever flew.:soexcited::soexcited::horns::horns: I'm sure if did a Google search you'd find info on it. I wish I could have get everyone who wanted one a ride...it really is an event of a lifetime. Either save the life of someone important militarily, or spend what amounts to pocket change for you, big time civilian anesthesiologist!:bow:

4. jetproppilot

Thanks for the reply, Heed.

Yeah, I've heard of the Russian gig.....makes me nervous for some reason getting into an aircraft with a dude that usta wanna blow us off the planet.

Thanks again.

5. PattonDaMan

Banned

Did you come into this forum to brag or ask a question? Get over yourself. You don't impress me at all. Flying does not make you special. You are also not some superstar MD either.

I am so sick of idiots who think they are so special. Seems like some MDs in here have that problem because they have some stupid title that I have as well. The private in Iraq right now owns you my firiend. That person is the one who is making history, not some second rate MD like you with a hobby just like anyone else.

I prefer to jump out of planes, not fly them. I have other interests. Get over yourself or STFU and join the military. You are a coward in my book who simply acts like saying "I was going to do that" impresses people. To me, and several others, it makes you look weak.

Go to a real source for this information. You simply came in here to brag about your SECOND RATE credentials.

Don't like my attitude? Then STFU and be humble. I don't see WWII vets bragging all day long that they saved Europe, do you?

6. TheGoose

Resident [Any Field]
    ^^ wow. nice 3rd post... err?

7. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    Seconded. His other two were inquiring about OBLC dates. If he makes it, I'm thinking he might not win Mr. Congeniality....

8. PattonDaMan

Banned

Let's analyze each line (in bold):
    Speaking of lifelong dreams....

I'm an anesthesiologist and a civilian pilot...SEL, MEL, instruments, turboprop time, etc etc (notice the etc etc, he likes to emphasize how much he has done with some CIVILIAN PLANE. WHO CARES?)

Dad flew 747s for TWA. (some of father's also accomplished a lot genius, you are not special. I really don't care.)

I remember being recruited in college because of good grades...wouldda forgone this whole medicine thing for the military (for better or worse) if I couldda flown.... (tries to emphasize how special he is with the "recruited" line. Ya, recruited and nothing came of it. You lacked the courage to follow through with potential. Many of us didn't drop the ball with our potential.)

I remember taking some exam, then a physical...which revealed my not-so-perfect eyesight. (MAJOR LEAGUE EXCUSE RIGHT THERE. His eyesight is the reason he chose not to serve. Convenient excuse that many in society like to do because they simply didn't have the courage to follow through with goals and modify them if there was an obstacle.)

Recruiter says "YOU CAN BE A RIO!!"

No thanks. (actually in retrospect, maybe that was a mistake). (Oh, boo hoo, he can't fly jets so he gives up. Go read the military forums where people modified their plans with a simple obstacle like poor eyesight. Most people have real excuses like one kidney, or a real DQ like that.)

Now eleven years into private practice. Great career. (he must be so special that he is the only one with a good career on this forum.)

Have had the privelege of flying PAY-1 and BE-200.

Obviously I've never ridden in an F-16 or the like.

But I'd love to just ride in one!

Periodically you read about celebrities, politicians, newscasters etc riding in a fighter. (Second rate MDs have to pay for this opportunity, pay up because you sure as hell aren't some celebrity.)

Any chance an flying-MD-shmoe (me) could catch thirty minutes in the back of a fighter?

If theres any way to petition for the opportunity, how is it done? (Pay up or beg someone, only way it will happen. You don't get privilege in life just because you have two letters behind your last name)

Yeah, sounds kinda stupid. (you got that right)

But it would absolutely be a priceless opportunity for me. (me me me, we know man, it is all about you on this post)

Thanks in advance for any direction you can offer. (go away, that is my advice)
    Sorry all, but I really dislike a few people in this forum who brag all day long and act like an MD is what makes them so special. I learned a long time ago that the doctor title is not what makes a person special, it is what you do with it. That goes to all MD students. Be humble and don't act like you are king or queen because you have what countless have achieved in the past. Be proud of it, but don't disrespect others because you have the title Doctor.

9. Strength&Speed

Strength&Speed Need more speed......

What makes you special then, dude? Doing your job and STFU about it? Is that your point?

10. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    Might want to re-type this. I'm not really sure what you're trying to get across here.
    Can you post your bona fides, PDM? From my read of your past posts, I get the impression that you're looking into OBLC right now, no? What was your prior service that makes you so salty?
    No, the medical rules a lot of people out from military service. Don't know the stats, but a lot of folks spend years getting ready to pursue their dream only to find a small flaw that has little day-to-day impact on their life can prevent them from their service of choice. C'mon, man, you sound about 8 years old here. Dig deeper.
    Please post your links on this forum of folks who overcame bad eyesight to get admitted to a military flight program. Faulty eyesight isn't something you can correct with weights.

Come to think of it, post the link on this forum of all the folks who overcame missing organs to get admitted to the flight program. I'd be curious to read this too.

Are you making this stuff up or have you read some odd stuff? Last I heard, vision problems was one of the biggest flight DQ for folks who passed the general physical.

If you don't like the guy's post, PDM, just don't read them again. There are lots of personalities on this forum you probably won't like, but jumping up to shout out why you hate everything they say (which incidentally, reeks of the "me, me, me" that you seem to be so sensitive to) turns the forum into a bunch of name calling and unproductive posturing. Most of us read this forum to get good info about the military and to share stories so that others can learn. Your stuff, at least in its delivery, isn't really helping anyone here.

11. TheGoose

Resident [Any Field]
    if hes looking into OBLC dates, then id assume he is a premed or a med student...and doesnt really have any place to make those comments (noone really has a place to make those comments to a seemingly harmless post)

i agree that a slight attitude readjustment might be helpful to win mr. congeniality....
    strike that. helpful to be a successful physician.
    strike that. helpful to be a successful member of society

12. jetproppilot

Thanks for your insight.

SDN has a wealth of info and many military pilots frequent this board.

Sounds like a great place to ask some questions about a lifelong dream.

BTW, are you in axe-murderer school?

13. Strength&Speed

Strength&Speed Need more speed......

STFU and join the military you pus$y :D

14. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Maybe you want to shut the **** up and get out.

Four posts and you think you're allowed to come in here and own the place? Get real.

I'll bet you're a peach to work with.

15. LauraDO

Medical Student
    Tired, that post was priceless!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Tired, :laugh: Nice post.

18. core0

core0 Which way is the windmill

Non-Student
    The weird part was when I first looked at it the browser put part of notdeadyets profile on top of Tired's. I though SDN had made Tired an assistant mod:eek:.
    But I'll agree with the nice post part.

David Carpenter, PA-C

19. Coastie

Coastie Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :sleep:

Next!